Sign in to follow this  
local7fisher

New Class A Handling Badly

Brand new Winnebago Vista 27 N. Steers all over the road. Installed steering stabilizer, aligned front end and yet the wind at 15/20 mph gusting pushes the unit worst than a semi passing, Tires are set at Winnebago air pressure figures, they are Goodyears. Any other 27 N owners??

Assume you have a Ford F53 chassis.

If you would, look up where they set caster and toe-in when they did the FEA.

And, when you say "set tire air pressure to Winnebago figures" that ASSUMES each axle loaded to its GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating). That may be very different than your actual weights. Best to load coach as you go down the road and weight it. Then go to Goodyear's inflation tables to determine their recommended PSI for your actual load. If you have actual weights, please post that as well-- always good to compare front axle GAWR with actual weight.

High profile vehicles are known for this type of crosswind handling. From standpoint of an over the road trucker...check your weight distribution. Rule of thumb....heavy rear loads will make for light front ends.

Yes, please look up caster and toe to see what they set it to. Because changing caster on the F53 is time consuming, many leave it to the low end of specs. Better tracking and wheel return to center with caster set to the high end of specs with right side 1/2 degree or so more than left to account for road crown.

Increased toe-in also helps tracking but semi trucks like to run low toe for longer tire life so there is a tendency of alignment shops to go low on the setting.

Every coach is different but I found running rear tire pressures at max rather than what the weight tables suggested helped cross wind performance. Increasing front above the table values also helps but sure screws up the ride.

I have the same steering problem. On my 2010 Coachmen Mirada 34 Ft. F53
V10. I have installed the Henderson TruTrac and the Roadmaster rear sway
bar and I still have to fight the steering wheel to stay on the road.
Does any one out there know a RV service that I can let them test drive
it. I have been to the scales and check the tire pressure. I am Locate in Tallahassee, Fl, Thanks, Joe

TallahasseeJoe,

Have you had the alignment checked? If so, what was caster and toe-in. Both are important for tracking.

A few lbs of air high or low in the front tires can make a noticeable difference in handling. I have noticed on our 40' DP that running the front tires at the high side of the weight adjusted tire pressure allows the front end to walk a little more. Letting 5 lbs out improved the steering. Of course, I forgot over the winter, aired back to normal and then took me a few thousand miles of wondering why I was fighting the steering wheel again to remember to let the 5 lbs back out. :mellow:

Ditto on Steer Safe...put it on our 1997 Ford E53 chassis and it was a dramatic improvement. Easy DIY installation.