lylefikse

Motorhome Shakes While Leveled

We are leveled on a cement pad under the back jacks and on on 8 X 6 blocks 18 inches long (on the ground) front jacks. The area is very level. When either of us walk around the motorhome, it shakes. Is this normal. We have the LCI Leveling System in a 40-foot Damon Tuscany.

Still learning this stuff.

Seems like if I re-level every 2 weeks or so it is better for a little while.

No, that is not normal if you have jacks firmly planted. Have you checked to verify that all the jacks are solidly on the ground and slightly lifting the frame? Just down is good, but they should be fully supporting the RV (frame) such that the suspension is taken out of the equation.

I reset the zero point last week. Even with manual leveling we can feel the unit move when we move around. How can I tell if we are off suspension. I am dumping air before we level.

From your post, I'm wondering if you have a slow leak in one of the jacks, one of the jack control solenoids or the dump valve that allows the jacks to be retracted. lose of pressure, leak down problem.

The only other item I can think of is a loose jack assembly where it connects to the frame. Got to reread the manual information myself an look for any clues.

Rich.

It depends on how the jacks are mounted. If the body is solid mounted it shouldn't shake and if the body has springs and pivot to change the angle as the coach raises, they will wiggle.

One could bleed them like brake lines, but it is real messy. The same results is accomplished by cycling the jacks full cycle a number of times and much less of a mess. Having the coach elevated so the jacks cycle with no load, full extension.

It would be nice if the systems had bleeders at the top of the cylinders. I replaced all the lines on one of my coaches and bleeding them by opening the connections that where located at the top of each cylinder under pressure ( jack down cycle) it did work, but messy. Two lines failed while in Alaska and I was allowed to work in the shop parking area and use some of there pans under the jacks to trap the lost fluid.

Real good lines and never had another one fail. Kind of wish I had pulled them and installed the old plastic style. They where custom made, industrial grade material, rated at -70 deg. One of my smaller light bulb moments !!!!

Rich.

I talked to a guy in our park yesterday that referred to our problem as the RV wiggle. That maybe a better description than a shake. He had full timed for 14 years and said our "wiggle" is normal. Do you responders agree?

We only get the wiggle when the jacks are not down. With the air ride lowered we get the wiggle and had it on a Gas unit until the jacks where lowered.

When the jacks are working properly and the coach is leveled the coaches have been very stable.

Rich.

The following reply was recieved from LCI:

If there was a line replaced on your system, chances are that you do have an “air bubble” in your system. This usually will make a “squishy” or “shaking” feeling when moving throughout the coach. The best way to purge air from your system without removing lines would be:

Park on a nice level surface.

Extend the legs fully, staying on the switch for an extra 5-6 seconds after full extension.

Check the reservoir for foaming, if there is foaming, let disapate.

Do the same process except while retracting. ******MONITOR PUMP MOTOR TEPERATURE***** This is critical. Do this periodically.

We are going to repeat these processes until the system no longer shows any foaming in the reservoir.

Thanks.

Mike Bloss

Lippert Components, Inc.

Customer Service

I haven't tried this yet. Will post again after I do.

Lyle, Think it would reduce the heat considerably if you could elevate the coach, so the pump motor does not have to lift the coach weight. Still need to monitor the temp though.

With the jack(s) cycled over an old service pit would do, if one of the older service centers or farmers has one in your area. WAY less work for the pump.

Think I would cycle the jack that the line was replaced on first to see if your coach stability increases. Good chance that the greatest amount of air is still trapped in that line.

Mick, mentioned the foaming ----- This is a result of the air in the line(s).

Good luck.

Rich.

Our jacks have been bumping, we have been in freezing temperature for 2 days, is this normal? Should be without jacks down right now?

Hi Brad, With the temps that low things are changing in size regarding the jack cylinders and pistons. that will cause then to move due to volume changes and also the possibility of some fluid leaking out around the seals. You might look at the base pads to see if any oil is collecting in or on them.

If so you might want to cycle them, but they might move very slowly if the temperatures are still in the 20 to 30 degree range.

If your in the Southwest you should be through the worst of it in another day or so.

Rich.

We have a little wiggle to our Damon with the jacks down but would have to agree that there will always be a little of this when you consider the size and weight stabilized by just those four points. Our deciding factor is how well the coach reacts to high winds. If it isn't affected by wind while parked and level then we are satisfied. We are wintering on a high lakeside granite cliff that has experienced strong winds and there is no more movement than when we walk around the coach. Some wiggle is a given.

My 2 cents---If the rig is stable immediately after the jacks are deployed, you most likely do not have air in your hydraulic lines. If the rig is initially stable but becomes less stable over time (shaky), then I would expect a slow leak (either internal - valve leaking by, or external) in the hydraulic system.

Sam

Try extending the jack all the way with the weight of the coach on it. Measure the height for a reference. Go back after several hours and remeasure at the same point. If your coach has settled any, look for signs of fluid. If there are signs of fluid you have a leak. :o If not then you have a leaking check valve in your system and the fluid is leaking back into the reservoir. :(

Herman