Sign in to follow this  
ramblinboy

Long-term Storage-- Gasoline Engine

I have been offered an overseas assignment. We will be away for 2 years.

It's a gas engine so fog the cylinders, change the oil, stabilize the fuel and take weight off tires is the most common advice. The same goes for the gas generator I'd imagine. It will be stored indoors unheated in a winter climate. Has anyone done this? Thanks rB

You just know that all the fuel will evaporate or varnish in the tank. Stable in the gas helps, but I think some top oil added to the fuel and run through the engines to get items coated is good. The battery(s) need to be removed and placed on chargers if possible, and some one to check the water levels and condition. Jack stands to support the coach and some pads under the tires. Coat the tires with vegetable oil to protect them, the oil does not react with the rubber like petroleum based oils.

Had one person mention lemon oil, never tried that one.

Think some peppermint oil around the bays and inside to keep the critters out would be good. The coach will smell like a candy factory when you return, but better then the option.

RB you should change the oil and filters and flush the cooling system while your at it.

Rich.

Thanks Rich! I wouldnt have thought of treating the tires and yes best to sit tires on wood not dirt or concrete. Now top oil in the fuel tank?

Just put enough Stabil in the fuel for 2 years, I think that is 2 oz per gallon and be sure to run it enough to get the treated fuel in the engine and gen. Fog the engines with oil through the intake.