Sign in to follow this  
bforrest

Cummins Engine Codes

We have a 2008 Winneabago destination with a 340hp Cummins ISB engine on a Freightliner chassis.

Does anyone know where I can buy a code reader to check the engine codes?

Scan Gauge is one and VMSpc from SilverLeaf.

Scan Gauge is carried by Camping World and The Silverleaf system is software that you load on your laptop and use an interface adapter and cables to connect to the ECM Connector.

The Freightliner Chassis uses a 6 pin connector in most cases, but you might have a 9 pin connection.

The connection is generally under the dash, drivers side next the the steering column.

Rich.

You may have a built in code reader that will show up on your dash read out-- check the buttons near your gear shift read out if you have an eletronic readout in the lower middle of your dash. I have a 2009 425 hp Cummins and the read outs show on the dash.

As a side note I called Cummins customer service to complain about their high labor rate. I think $119.00 an hour is to darned expensive. I think we should all complain and ask for an estimate before they start any work and that we be notified before they run over their estimate.

I don't like paying these kind of rates while they are wasting time standing around at their own parts counter or gone taking a wizz. I solved my problem I go somewhere else that does great work is kind and helpful and doesn't over charge. They think they have us hooked because they are Cummins. There are plenty of others with out the franchise that can work on Cummins,do it well at a decent rate. The one I use charges $85.00 per hour and does just as well and maybe better because they show customer care.

In my book Cummins is out to rip any one with an RV.

I totally agree with resindiana about Cummins services being overpriced. But my opinion is that you can solve almost all problems regarding the car/engine yourself without paying any amount.

Fortunately there are plenty of videos on youtube that explain how to fix vehicle problems.

All you need to know is what is wrong with your car (what the code means) and that can be found out on the many engine-code sites. My personal favourite is http://engineservicelight.com but there are also many other sites you can visit.