smoltzie

National Parks in Utah and Montana

Question

We plan on leaving Georgia in late May and traveling to the National Parks in southern Utah and then go north to Yellowstone & Glacier National Parks, then back to Georgia. I have been in touch with the tourism bureaus for those states and for the parks. This will be the farthest and longest trip we have taken to date. We learn something new from fellow campers where ever we go and I know that many of you have made this trip before and would GREATLY appreciate any info you may have to offer.

Please let me know your favorites and not so favorite spots/stops. Also any info on the highways and roads to parks would be a blessing.

We are traveling in a 40 ft Class A.

5 answers to this question

There are no ugly places in Southern Utah and most campgrounds can handle your 40 footer.

From Goose necks near Mexican Hat to Wahweep you will be inspired.

Take the half day boat trip from Wahweep to Rainbow Bridge for an idea of the vast beauty of Lake Powell and don't miss the John Wesley Powell museum at Green River.

There is a KOA right across the street. Moab is a must as is Dead Horse Point near Canyonlands.

Arches is close to the Colorado River by Moab and you can rent 4 wheel drive vehicles to explore hundreds of miles of off road areas. We have spent months in the area and will go back ASAP!!

Take your time!!

Todd Zeile

Indio Ca.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have read so many travel brochures but nothing takes the place of hearing of the experience of others.

We will be making a stop in Moab.

Great tips on Lake Powell and the 4 wheelers!!!!!

Dottie S

Georgia

I dont get out that way often enough, but for us, Monument Valley is a great stop. Another often overlooked spot in that general area is Canyon De Chelly. Not in Utah but a close neighbor in the Navajo Nation / Eastern AZ. In both places you can take a Navajo guided jeep tour. Not sure exactly which route you'll be taking north, but Flaming Gorge is also a beautiful spot.

We will definitely look into these places. Right now our route from Carlsbad Caverns to southern Utah is still somewhat flexible. Thanks for the tips!!