Warren1947

Smart Car Four Down Towing

We towed a 2008 Smart Passion Cabrolet for about 10,000 miles behind a 27 foot Freedom Express Class C.

We towed four down, with Evenbrake supplemental braking.

It towed very well behind the motorhome, even in the mountains. We had no problems with the Smart and were very happy with it.

There were a few tall topes ( think giant speed bumps ) in Baja Mexico where the Smart's low ground clearance caused me to worry, but we got over them easily.

We have a 32ft Rexhall A Motorhome. We have been looking at the Smart for a tow. How are they to tow? Any suggestions for us first timers. Equipment recommended etc. I guess we just want to know the pros and cons and everything we need to know.

We don't want to get into something and have trouble.

Thanks for all help. kjym@comcast.net

We've had our smart car since they first became available in 2008, and we've been towing it behind our motorhome since new. We use a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar, and use a bungee cord on the steering wheel to help keep the steering stable when towing. Starting with the 2009 model smart recommended adding a battery cutoff switch to prevent inadvertent ignition activation during towing, but we've never had a problem.

We have pulled a 2009 smart car since 2009 for 30000 miles behind 28ft Allegro with Roadmaster Falcon towbar. Orginally no problem but recently front wheels wobble after sharp turns so now use bunge cord. No extra braking system is used. Installed battery cutoff switch but have not used it. Do not start car every night and have not had any battery problems.Only problem is when you want to go out to dinner with guests-Taxi or two cars.

I have 2 SmartCars. Both are 2013. I have towed SmartCars for about 5 years and have had no problems. My husband has the convertible and I have "plain Jane".

We both use Roadmaster and do not have any problems with the wheels not staying straight. We do not use any brake system or battery disconnect.

I have a 35' Fleetwood Terra LX and he has a 16'' Roadtrek.

I have some friends that use BlueOx and they both have to use bungie-cords to keep the front wheels straight.

SmartCar is an ideal tow vehicle. I also carry a disability cart in the SmartCar.

Martha Barnes, yrosef3291@aol.com, 321-501-0301

Roadmaster products are very well engineered and manufactured in house in the USA. I was just at the Redmond FMCA convention and they are still doing courtesy inspections and maintenance.

Auto Trader has over 750 Smart Cars For Sale. 2009 and newer starting at $4995 up. Some really great deals. You will probably even find some with a tow system already hooked up. The dealers in our area have large discounts on them, even the 2015 models. Just have to do your due dilligence in your search. Good Luck.

We found a 2012 Smart. We had the batteries turn off put on today and Camping World called and our tow pkg is in.
Just to get it installed and we will be on our way. I will let you know about our first trip.
We are so happy.

Thank's Martha for all the helpful information . We ordered the Road Master like you said.

Kathy

We had a battery disconnect installed at the Smart Dealer. Our question is: Does the disconnect connect to the positive or the negative side of the battery?

We ordered a RoadMaster Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar and a insta brake system.

We have a 3 week wait to have this all installed.

I know some of you don't disconnect your battery but the service man at the dealer told us of a Smart that was towed without the battery disconnected and it chewed the engine and transmission up. So that's why we installed one.

Do any of you have a Insta brake system installed?

Thank you for the help.

Kathy

We had our RoadMaster tow package installed at Camping World in San Martin,CA. They did a great job.

We towed the Smart home the 50 miles and it did great. We kept the back camera on to watch.

We tow with a 1999 Rexhall Aerbus Ford V-10 gas engine and have a 2012 Smart Fortwo.

Kathy

We have also been towing a 2010 Cabrolet behind our American Eagle for four years. We have the Blue Ox system, no auxiliary brake and I do have a simple battery disconnect mounted under dash with a removable plastic key bought at Advanced Auto Parts.

I do bungy the steering wheel through the lower spokes to 2 I bolts I drilled into the lower portion of the drivers seat frame
We have logged over 40K miles driven and only showing 22K on the odometer. There is a restarting procedure to reboot the computer control (very simply rest your foot on the brake until the clicking stops and start).

We even towed it to Alaska this summer but I don't recommend it. The road conditions are rough on the Alcan highway.

We Have a 2012 passion fortwo We put a battery disconnect on the car for towing and we tow it 4 wheels down.

We had a RoadMaster Falcon All Terrain non-binding tow bar # 522 972 The Hidden Brackets, the Tow plate and the Accessory Kit.

We had these installed at Camping World and they did a great job. I must admit it was scary watching them take the car apart to put the Pkg. on.

The Car tows fantastic we have had no problems at all. At first I sat in the back to watch out the window and it goes around corners like someone is in the car driving it. We don't even know that the car is behind us, so we keep the back camera on to watch.

What is great the cables run in the tow bar so you don't have to wrap them around the tow bar, it makes a clean look.

Tom & Kathy Manoff

We have a 32ft Rexhall A Motorhome. We have been looking at the Smart for a tow. How are they to tow? Any suggestions for us first timers. Equipment recommended etc. I guess we just want to know the pros and cons and everything we need to know.

We don't want to get into something and have trouble.

Thanks for all help. kjym@comcast.net

Thanks to Martha in Florida. We got a Roadmaster set up at Camping World, they did a great job. We have towed our Smart 2012 on 4 trips so far and have had no problems. It tows great you don't know that it is behind you.

The first time we hooked up it took us 20 minutes now we can hook up and ready to roll in less than 5 minutes. We also have a battery switch disconnect and follow the instructions in manual to put car to sleep. Remember to step on brake when waking up or it won't wake up. The manual doesn't tell you this.

We love the Smart as a tow its a wonderful little car.

Kathy in CA.