Sign in to follow this  
tkbowers

Electrical Problem

This issue involves my 1994 Foretravel Grand Villa (U-240).

I drove to a local campground (Sonoma County, CA) several weeks ago. We had heavy rains a few days prior, and some roads were still flooded or closed. At one point I had to navigate through about 6 inches of water for maybe 50 yards. I took it easy and kept my speed below 10 mph. After arriving at the campground, my generator started fine but I did not hear the usual "thud" coming from the transfer switch. The Zantrex control panel did not light up either. I made several additional attempts to charge my batteries throughout the afternoon with no luck. I was however able to use my Zantrex inverter.

We had a dry steady wind that night, and the transfer switch worked fine the next morning and gave me no problems for the remainder of my stay.

Any ideas as to what happened and suggestions for a fix.

Thank you.

Tom

Rohnert Park, CA

Tom,

Your generator output (120 VAC) goes to a junction box in the driver's side bay just behind the generator-- high on the front wall. With all 120 VAC power off, check connections there and make sure they are clean and dry. If they are, check the connections at the ATS. If OK, check the connections at the generator itself. Just because you are there, turn OFF and then back ON the two breakers on the generator itself.

Chuck,

My Discovery is set up where if the coach batteries get below a set voltage (I think is it 10vdc) it turns the Freedom combi (charger/inverter etc) off which shuts down pretty much the whole system as the t-stat for heat and air runs on 12vdc as does the controls for the reefer etc.. I had this happen to me and cleaned all cables and terminals at the batteries and got the charge back up on the coach batteries and the system reset itself and all was good to go.