Sign in to follow this  
brandta

Loose Wiper Bracket

I have a 2004 Rexhall RV with a pantograph style wiper system. On one side the wiper mechanism has become loose allowing the blade to move past the split windshield. The drive shaft seems to be held in place by a rectangular piece of metal in a U shaped track. I can't see where you might be able to tighten up the shaft. I was concerned about removing the arm from the shaft as when I removed the nut the arm seemed still firmly attached and I didn't want to break something if I was really missing the trick.

Any experience out there? Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan Brandt (F358526)

The arm is on a tapered spline shaft and it will stick tight. You can use a light tapping on the end of the shaft while applying pressure under the arm. Another way is to use a puller. Pull the whole mechanism out to see what has failed.

Hi Alan, As DD suggested. I also think the arm is attached the same way. The common problem when the arm is not orientated properly, is the arm and shaft spline(s) have slipped. This can damage the arm splines on the arm drive shaft also. One can remove the arm, reset it to the proper location and re-tighten. Should there be significant damage to the splines you will need to replace items to make a good repair.

The problem happens up North quite often when the wiper blades freeze to the windshield and we power them up. There is a considerable amount of torque on the shaft / arm joint.

Some systems do use a friction coupling, just a snug joint between the arm and shaft. should this be the case Do Not Over Tighten. That can damage the drive shaft.

Rich.

Alan,

Just to add to Rich's answer. On all of my vehicles I have made a habit of turning off the wipers when I stop the engine. This way I don't have then trying to come on when the windshield is frozen or the windshield is dry. Just one of my quirks.

Herman

Thank you for all the suggestions. I suspected that the arm was on a tapered, splined shaft but just wanted to get some confirmation before proceeding. I'm hoping that there is a nut of some sort behind the arm that holds the shaft mechanism in place as there doesn't seem to be anything on the engine side of the system. I'll give it another try when the temp warm up a bit this afternoon.

Thanks

Alan