MikeMarie

Electric Steps Don't Stay Extended When Switch Turned Off

In my 2008 Jayco Melbourne 29D we have double electric steps that come out when the door to the coach is opened. There is a switch that one can turn off when you are parked so that they stay down when the door is closed. We have been parked on a campsite for a couple of weeks now with the switch turned off (so the stairs stay out). All of a sudden when the door is shut the steps retract. Has anyone experienced this problem and how did you resolve it.

Thanks Mike...

Mike,

If the suggestions mentioned do not solve the problem could you let us know if your coach is equipped with Kwikee / Power Gear or SCS power steps ; or some other brand.

Rich.

I gave up on automatic steps a few years ago. Problems such as yours prompted me to operating the steps manually with a toggle switch. Now I know people are going to say I take the chance of driving off with the steps extended but I say my step monitor (wife, copilot) is more reliable than my auto system became. I just got tired of fixing it.

An added little turn of events to my steps on the motorhome.

Two days ago I opened the door and the steps stayed down. I thought that they were fixed. I had gone under and checked the fuse, all the wires and there didn't appear to be any loose wires. So, for the morning the steps were down when the switch was turned off. Then while we were out, they came up again. Today the same thing. When I opened the door this morning the steps came down and stayed down. Fixed. wrong. We were eating lunch in the motorhome and all of a sudden the steps came back in on their own. Now they go down when the door is opened and come back up when the door is closed. Very strange...

Mike...

They won't fix themselves. Mine starting acting up and working intermittently. After a week, I had to bite the bullet and replace the "brain" at an RV repair facility. Expensive diagnosis, part, and fix, but end of problem. If I remember correctly it was about a $500 repair. Costly but necessary. Hopefully you will find a fix that doesn't include replacing the brain - that was the killer cost on mine.

Thanks. Now, where would I put the switch in the system to operate the steps with the toggle switch.

Our last coach we had to open and close the steps by hand so this seems like it would be a good way to solve the problem without spending an arm and a leg to get it done.

Mike...

Did you get a copy of the information link I posted ?

Do you have a meter to use ?

There could be a problem with the read switch at the door, this is activated by a magnet on the screen door. there should be an off / on switch near the door to turn off to keep the door open even when the door is closed. This switch could be defective. The other item is the logic timing on the control board, depending on the system installed.

Rich.

After re-reading your original post, I doubt that the door sensor is at fault since the steps do respond to door opening and closing. More likely in the ignition switch circuitry or the brain board - just my guess.

I went through a time when my steps did exactly the same thing. However, it usually happened during rain or times of high humidity. I took the control box from the bottom of the step apart, dried it out, cleaned it, and caulked it when I put it back together. I re-did every connection under there.

That was a couple of years ago. It has been working OK ever since.

Touch wood.

I have a Kwikee 2 step that is prior to 1999. I just bought a controller for the newer steps and had to change the wire connectors and the door switch which needs to be a normally open not closed. Works perfect.

Thanks all. I will give the cleanup and checkup of the wires another try. It stayed open the other day when it was raining but only for awhile and then came back in again on its own. Very strange.

Mike...

In my 2008 Jayco Melbourne 29D we have double electric steps that come out when the door to the coach is opened. There is a switch that one can turn off when you are parked so that they stay down when the door is closed. We have been parked on a campsite for a couple of weeks now with the switch turned off (so the stairs stay out). All of a sudden when the door is shut the steps retract. Has anyone experienced this problem and how did you resolve it.

Thanks Mike...

Thanks Mike...

I think you need a new controller.