Sign in to follow this  
bryanw47

Brand of Antifreeze

Good Afternoon

Getting ready to change antifreeze, thermostat/gasket and coolant filter in my 2002 Monaco Windsor. It is equipped with a Cummins ISC 350 diesel engine. Have allready purchased coolant filter, thermosat and gasket. Will be flushing out the old SCA type antifreeze and installing with the new type of OAT antifreeze. Would like opinion on brand of antifreeze to purchase and where it can be purchased.

Thanks in advance for opinions and recommendations.

Have a great day !

Since you have a Cummins, I would suggest their Fleetguard OAT coolant.

Were it a Caterpillar, I would suggest Caterpillar ELC.

That way, if you are ever in a shop having engine work done, they will have your coolant on the shelf.

I use "Peak long life full strength" from Sams. We run it in our fleet of Semis and it holds up well so I started using it in my personal vehicles. It is all make/all model compatible which makes it convenient. I dont have to worry about carrying 2 different types of coolant for my rig and my toad.

Wolfe10 had a good point about it being a good idea to match your stuff to your manufacturer just in case you ever have to put it in the shop but I that is up to you. I am not a fan of over priced dealer parts. You can also get this at walmart but it is slightly more than at sams. Good luck

Kevin,

Do I understand correctly that you run full strength Anti-Freeze? I have always understood that full strength was not good for the cooling system. :huh: :huh:

Herman, I guess I should have stated that you do have to dilute it down about %50 with water. Running straight anti-freeze will harm ones cooling system over time. You can buy this already diluted for about $2 cheaper per gallon, but then you are only getting a half gallon of coolant and half gallon of water and paying almost the same for a full gallon of straight coolant. Just doesn't make sense to me?? You can always pre mix it your self and then carry it until you need it to avoid having to do it "in the heat of the moment".

If you have any doubts, call Cummins with your engine serial number and ask them what A/F should be used. Like many things, A/F is very technical and there are many kinds. One of the acceptable brands for my Cummins is Peak, "Final Charge Global Extended Life." It meets Cummins 14603 standards.

bryanw47,

When you do your change and flush of your cooling system I recommend using the full strenth antifreeze. Find out how much your system will hold then add 50% full strength antifreeze then filling the rest with distilled water. This will take into account the water you cant get out when you drain the system.

Bill

You can read the article I wrote on changing coolant in this month's FMCA Magazine (January). Agree, full strength works best when changing coolant.