Sign in to follow this  
smokeater75

How Cold Is It?

:ph34r: Good morning everyone. It's about 8 a.m. here in Winnipeg, the temperature is -30 C [-22F], and the wind chill is -43C [-45F] We are getting ready to head down south. Just for the heck of it I put a gallon of -50 winterizing anti-freeze on my deck last night to see what would happen. Well, this morning when I went to check it I can tell you that it didn't freeze solid ... it became a slushy, so I would have to say it works. It certainly wouldn't have burst any pipes. Have a great day, everyone. We will be joining you shortly. By the way, our motorhome is in a heated garage. Smokeater75

Last Monday in Las Vegas it was 24 degrees and my spigot and hose at the campground was frozen solid. Not supposed to happen this far south!

Hmm. Now this question is just like something wrong with your brain ... Actually here is -5°C in Scarbrough. But Its better then -10 or -15. I am missing the summer season because the cold is making me sick.

Oh my we waited until last week to have our entire first floor ripped up and 4 inch Oak floors installed while we lived full time in our 2005, 38 foot, gas powered motor home. It is cold when you try to limit the amount of LP used putting in electric heaters, one in the bed room and one at the front.

However don't plug in a coffee pot without turning off one of the heaters or you will blow the circuit breaker, did it twice so far. We have been in the drive way for 10 days and looking at another 14 days before we can have our furniture moved back in from the garage and basement.

Learning as I go for example I drained all the anti freeze so we could use the water tanks and other tanks on board with the pump. Learned you can not leave the waste pipe or water hose connected even if they are not being used, the cold weather will break them as soon as they are touched. So now I fill the water tank to the max every third day and empty the gray and black tank at the same time, disconnecting all hoses and storing them away from the cold.

It seems as long as the central LP heaters are running the water tanks are safe from the freeze according to my manual, so at 38 bucks a pop we are refilling the LP locally, Yes, the MH gets a little exercise when I drive it to the local retailer for the refill. I wanted to rent a big 100 gallon tank but they wanted $300 plus delivery of $150 so it was cheaper to just fill the 20 gallon tank as it gets to 1/4 of a tank remaining.

This is our first full time winter experience and not sure we would do it again but it is an adventure and our house is just a garage door remote away from us. I installed a outside waste pipe from our basement to the outside wall and already had a 30 amp hookup ready so all we were short of was DIRECT dish installed in our house but that was easy to run a line out to the MH. So you could say we are camping in our driveway but attached to the house except when we break loose to get LP refills.

It's been in the 20's and snowing in Western, NY. Winnipeg, you can keep those temps. We pick our MH up on the 28rd. Will stick around here until Sept. or Oct. when my wife retires. We will be heading south before the snow flies again later this year.