Tigerpa

Power Step Cover In 2006 Monaco Diplomat

Friends,

Had an issue with my sliding power step cover. It was working fine and then when I pressed the button, I could hear the solenoid (I am guessing it was the solenoid) clicking. I though it might be stuck so I gave it a tug. Seems I dislodged something and now it rolls back and forth unconnected somehow? My fault, should not have forced it. Any idea on what I may have done before I tackle trying to take it apart and fix it. Is this s big job, expensive part to fix? I have no idea.

Would appreciate all feedback.

Regards,

Tigerpa

Tigerpa,

Welcome to the Forum. Your step cover is operated by a long slim air cylinder. I had the same problem with mine. The cylinder is secured by a bolt back under the step. It sound as if the bolt has broken. I was able to repair mine but it isn't an easy job. What I did was to remove the cylinder and put a long screw through the hole in the end of the cylinder. Secure it with not one but two nuts. I used the first tow secure the bolt to the cylinder and the second as a jam nut. I removed the broken screw which left a hole in the pan which I put the new bolt on the cylinder through the hole and secured it with again two nuts. Be sure to put the bolt through the cylinder so the air lines are on the correct side. Also be sure and replug the air lines before securing the cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Herman

Basically I had the same problem with my slide step cover in my Safari. The small shaft broke off where it attached to the front of the step slide. First off Monaco was absolutely no help, tried to charge me over $300 for a wrong part that they insisted was right. I posted my woes on the Safari MH Yahoo website and as luck would have it, a member's son worked at a factory that made pnuematic cylinders, Norgren in Ohio. They do have an online website where you can order a replacement, BUT, you had better take yours out and get the correct part number which in all likelyhood will be a Bimba. I recommend calling Norgren because a cylinder part number with the correct mounting hardware has to be determined. By the way when my Norgren has finally installed, the total bill including labor waas only $194 (Norgren cylinder was only $69). Here's my posting from the Safari website:

From the dreaded and backordered Bimbo (bimba) thanks to Chuck L (from the

other Safari Site)and his son. Instead of an inferior Bimba step slide cover

pneumatic cylinder, I now have a Much Superior Norgren RP075X20.000-DAP RW SS.

Remember that part number Safari Owners because it is a direct replacement part

number for the Bimba one. And do NOT depended upon Monaco (Navistar) for either

getting the part number right per the VIN Build sheet of your coach because they

sure screwed up with mine. Insisted on sending me a 26 inch shaft length

instead of the 20 inch one that Chuck sent. And I might add, at 1/3 the cost.

Here is another posting by me regarding the actual R&R of the step slide cover. It may be helpful because it is NOT an easy task and you may want to follow my RV Tech's lead.

First off, my working step slide cover would not be working at all if it were

not for Chuck L -- 3 big cheers for Chuck & Son!!!!! My much superior

Norgren Step Slide Cover Cylinder is now merrily working that cover. Now the

bad news, camera was Fubar, ergo no pics. But, Spud the Eric's RV Mechanic

Par-Excellence figured out a way to get at it that was amazing simple and I'll

attempt to describe it.

1. First off he cut the two air feeder lines that were later re-coupled on the

install.

2. He did get the old Bimba cylinder out but as he said, "The Hard Way." After

my arrival this morning, Spud looked at the setup again and concluded that if he

took off the side rails that the cover slides into when closed, it would offer

good access for hands and tools when re-installing the Norgren cylinder, and IT

DID. Spud removed the side rails, and then lifted out the VERY HEAVY 1/4 INCH

STEEL PLATE SLIDE COVER, and you get an access hatch about 3 inches high and as

wide as the step cover.

4. What took him forever removing the original Bimbo from it's 4 bolt mounting

configuration was that they were 4 inches long and he was using an open ended

wrench a quarter turn or less at a time. Spud noted that less than 2 inches

were really needed on those bolts and if shortened, he could use a much faster

deep well socket wrench. Wack, off went two inches of the bolts.

5. Total time involved re-installing was just over an hour.

It sure works like a charm now, in fact I am thinking of slowing/softening it

down a tad. Spud demo'ed the Norgren air valve adjustment for me.

John, That is some real good information ! Thanks for sharing it with the membership. This really adds to the value and information of the web page.

Thanks again Rich.

John, That is some real good information ! Thanks for sharing it with the membership. This really adds to the value and information of the web page.

Thanks again Rich.

Yep, I just lucked out being a member of the Safari Yahoo website and another member (Chuck L) having a son that actually manufactured the cylinders. Between Monaco errors, regional distributor, and bimba, it too over 3 1/2 months to sort it out.

All,

Had to post this as I was pretty proud I figured it out- with some feedback from ya'll.

See the picture. Seems that when the cover stuck and I tugged on it, I sprung the 2 steel arms that run from the actuator to the sides of the cover frame. There are 2 pins (one on each side) that fit snug into holes on either end of the two arms. I popped each back on to the pins (wasn't easy to do it standing on my head by myself). The arms are fairly stout but for some reason they popped off. Still can't figure what originally caused the cover to stick-may have been a stuck relay/solenoid.

Anyhow-its all working well and I'm on to the next issue.

Microsoft PowerPoint - Monaco Diplomat 2006 step cover.pdf

Tigerpa,

John mentioned a air operated system and in your case it looks like a threaded rod turned by an electric motor, that moves the system in and out.

Did the post(s) that the arms from the drive rod connect to have a hole for a lock pin or snap ring that may have come out? The torque between the drive arms and the pins could pull them loose if there is something binding, or one of the locking pins fell out and the side torque finely pulled the other side loose, although everything in you picture looks clean.

Rich.

Rich,

Yep, no air cylinder. I did not see a place for a cotterpin or a snap ring. Good idea though. I may go ahead and crimp something on the end of the pim to prevent it from coming of again.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Tigerpa

Tigerpa, Hi! Am new to forum and found your posting by searching for some help in repairing the electric step cover on my 2007 Monaco LaPalma.

Your picture of the frame will be a big help, but I have to ask ... How did you get the step off the frame? I have been looking UNDERNEATH mine with flashlight, contorting myself to positions to where IF I found a/the problem I couldn't get to it. Your help would be greatly appreciated by myself AND my wife who had to put up with my plywood cover makeshift cover for 2000 miles!