neilcarol

Touring Wyoming

Question

We will be at FMCA rally in Gillette and want to go to Yellowstone, Grand Teton and on to Cheyenne, Looking for the best route with least mountains (first time in mountains).

10 answers to this question

Neil, like DD mentioned there are mountains everywhere.

Look at a map of WY, Get a state map from the State Tourism Dept. and you will see an area called the Great Divide Basin, that is in the middle of the state. So its a big bowel with high sides all the way around.

To stay off mountain passes is very difficult, but this is the way I would go to minimize, that look up the grade and the feeling of we are going down there feeling.

From Gillette take Rt. 90 to Bozeman Mt.--RT. 191 south to West Yellowstone. Drive around the park and enjoy. With your toad or rental drive down towards Jackson Hole from the South Entrance of the park. This is the most direct route south, but like I mentioned what is up on the rim of the bowl must drop down at some point to get back to Rt. 80 to go East to Cheyenne.

Looking again at you state map. The more wiggly the road looks generally means more turns and that equals a greater drop in elevation over a given distance.

The Rt. as mentioned has less abrupt changes in elevation over all, but will not eliminate the up and down driving entirely.

How or where are you coming from West Coast, East Coast or Midwest on your way the Gillette?

Rich.

We have driven in Wyoming and Montana extensively over the years. Our best suggestion would be to drive from Gillette to Billings, then on to Livingston and then south to Yellowstone Park. You will always encounter hills in that part of the country but this route would minimize them.

Good luck and enjoy Yellowstone.

Neil,

We are leaving Iowa on 6/9/13 for the Grand Tetons via I80 to Rock Springs. Then 191 north thru Jackson to Colter Bay RV Park for about 4 days. Then into Yellowstone via south entrance and out the east entrance to Cody. From there it is hwy 20 to 16 and across the Big Horns to Buffalo and I90 to Gillette and the Rally. We have a 40' Winnebago Journey with Toad.

You should just relax and enjoy the trip. The WY roads are very good, however, fuel stops are not always available in the smaller towns. I will be stopping at every major town for fuel in WY.

Look forward to meeting you at the rally.

Jack & Diane Hauswirth
Altoona, Iowa

Roads are good in WY. Some are 2 lane but they are good. The only one to avoid is 14A. I have a 40'er and my route from Gillette to YNP is as follows:

1. I90 to Buffalo. We stay at Deer Park on 16 east side of Buffalo. Not fancy but ok.

2. 16 to 20 at Worland

3. Go thru Thermopolis to Shoshoni. I recommend some time in Thermopolis if you have it. We dry camp at Boysen State park south of town. Beautiful drive to Shoshoni.

4. Right on US26 in Shoshoni.

5. Right on US26 in the "big" town of Riverton.

6. Follow US26 to Moran Jct. and go north to YNP or south to Jackson Hole.

Now, you will be crossing Togwotee Pass which is steep. But it is not a problem. New road but there may be construction still.

Alternate route. Go to Cody on 14 and into YNP. There are some grades but not bad. When doing a grade, down shift to 2nd or 1st with a gasser. Kick on your retarder with a diesel and start slowly down the hill. Brake as needed.

I'll be in Jackson for most of the summer. Maybe I'll see ya there. Great spot for summer.

My wife and I are on a 2 month trip for the first time in our 40' plus diesel pusher with toad through WY. We are attending the rally in Gillette. Today we left Cheyenne on 80 west to Rawlins (Flying J) then came back 3 miles to 287 north. 65mph 2 lane no traffic and INCREDIBLE VIEWS of snow capped mountains. The grades were no problem with our engine brake. We are overnighting in Pioneer RV PK (Lander)and the view from our front window is beyond description!!! What we came to see for sure. Tomorrow a short 130 miles to Colter Bay.