pamkay

Now Available: Digital Edition of Family Motor Coaching Magazine

We are pleased to announce that Family Motor Coach Association members and magazine subscribers now have more options for enjoying Family Motor Coaching magazine. Today we officially launch the digital edition of the BEST magazine for motorhome enthusiasts. It is now possible to view a user-friendly, flip-through version of Family Motor Coaching magazine on your iPad or Android tablet, on your desktop or laptop computer, or even on your smartphone. Members and subscribers also can download a PDF copy of the magazine to enjoy during times when they do not have an Internet connection.

The digital edition is an exact replica of the print copy of the magazine, but it also has interactive features. It will be available a week or so before the print version arrives in mailboxes, so you’ll have early access to the magazine and its great content.

Since access to the digital magazine will be restricted to members and subscribers, you must be signed in via your regular FMCmagazine.com sign-in account to view it. If you haven’t already created a sign-in account, you’ll want to do so and link the account to your FMCA membership number or subscriber account number.

In addition to the current issue of the magazine – February 2013 – we’ve provided access to the January 2013 issue in the archive section. Each month when we add the current issue, prior issues will move to the archive collection and continue to be available.

Happy reading and happy motorhoming!

www.fmcmagazine.com/digital

Sincerely,

Pamela Kay

Director of Communications, Publishing

This is a great addition! It's a little kludgy to get it to view on an iPad, but I'm sure things will improve over time (subscription via Newsstand or integration to iBooks). This will really help those of us moving our lives digital as we travel! Thanks! :rolleyes:

Someone else indicated that they experienced issues with viewing it on a first-generation iPad. I think changing to the single-page viewing mode on the Tools menu may help with navigation on the iPad.

It is possible to download a PDF copy for reading offline.This option appears on the Tools menu. The icon looks like a hammer until you roll over it, at which time the word Tools appear. The download PDF button is at the bottom of the menu.

Works well on the smartphone: Android (OS ICS) No problems. Excellent addition to the readers' options. But, I still like the magazine in print better.

@Me2Bus. Glad to hear that the digital issue worked well on your smartphone. I, too, love the print version of Family Motor Coaching magazine, and all of my other magazines (I have a bit of an obsession with magazines in general). But I must admit that I'm growing more fond by the day of my iPad, and Family Motor Coaching magazine looks really great on it. And having options is especially nice for FMCA's mobile membership. Thanks for the feedback!

Since the digital edition is now availiable online, is it posible to discontinue the the mailed version? The reason being, some of us use a mail forwarding service and the resending of the magazine just adds up to an additional cost that would not now be needed. I am able to read the magazine on the Computer, my Android phone and the Kindle so there is an abundance of methods to receive the info.

Yes, it is possible to place the print copy of your magazine on hold.

If you are interested in doing so, please contact the Member Services Department at the FMCA national office -- membership@fmca.com or 513-474-3622 or 800-543-3622.

Another idea is to keep the print magazine coming to you and then pass it along to another motorhome owner in a campground or to leave copies at a local RV dealer, etc. to help spread the word about FMCA.

Hi! Just a note of thanks from a member in Minnesota.

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new digital version of my favorite magazine of all time! I was so excited to get your e-mail announcing the option of getting the mag online, and being able to read it sooner than when I get it in the mail.

Sometimes I am out-of-town, and I really miss getting to read it when it comes, so the digital version a great option. I have to confess, the magazine is one of my favorite pastimes in the winter months, when my motor coach is tucked away in the pole building, awaiting spring, to scour the classifieds, fantasizing about a new RV or the perfect place to retire with my rig, out of the bitter cold of Minnesota. It's my mini "virtual getaway"!

I love the articles, forums and pictures that keep me from getting cabin fever while I'm eagerly waiting for RV season up here. I kid you not, from about the 25th of the month on, I race to my mailbox every day to see if the magazine has arrived, and I'm so let down when it hasn't, and then I repeat the ritual the next day! (My husband knows the drill, so he stays out of my path!)

This digital option has changed my life. (Tee-hee!) What a great New Year's surprise! I've read next month's issue cover to cover already, and have some great ideas for spring trips and warm places to visit.

Thanks for digitalizing my motor coaching world (and fueling my obsession!).

Tickled in the (frozen) Tundra

Member F356097

Someone else indicated that they experienced issues with viewing it on a first-generation iPad. I think changing to the single-page viewing mode on the Tools menu may help with navigation on the iPad.

I'm reading the Feb. issue on my 1st-gen iPad even as we speak. I discovered that it's possible to toggle between single- and dual-page mode by tapping the screen somewhere on the active page. So I can view two pages at once in "landscape" (horizontal) orientation, and one page in "portrait" mode. Didn't need to use the Tools menu!

That's it for now. I have some reading to do!

--Tim C.

Park Forest, IL

Great idea but do I have to be online to read it. Or can I download it and read it later when I don't have an internet connection?

In addition to choosing the Download PDF option on the Tools menu, I like the right-click alternative. Right-click your mouse on the magazine pages to pop up a quick menu of the most used reader features, including Download PDF and View Mode. View Mode lets you choose one- or two-page mode.

post-220-0-68280000-1360081702_thumb.jpg

Once you become accustomed to the tools and layout of the digital edition, you'll be zipping your way around in no time.