MSY4US

Freightliner Chasis Fuel Fill Problem

I am looking at buying a 2009 43' Allegro Bus on a Freightliner chassis and have heard that it may have a fuel fill problem. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

The chassis manufacturer normally ships the fuel fill hose loose or none at all, since it will be designed into the side of the coach by the coach maker.

In most cases, slow fill is curable-- a sag in either the fill or vent hose can cause slow fill. Of course, if the coach maker installed the fill too close to the level of the tank inlet, slow fill can occur even without sags/dips in the hose.

Suggest you look under the coach between filler and tank-- no higher math involved. If the hoses run downhill from side of coach to tank, filling is generally not a problem.

40X, that isn't a bad idea, but be sure the off side is not lower then the side you are filling You could end up with a large spill.

Herman

Good advice...if it is down hill, I still crack it, but listen as the tank is being filled and slow it down when getting nearly full...then let it dribble in until if drips out.

Back when I was in the boating industry we had a problem with one boat. It came with 16 gallon tank. They decided to go with a 18 gallon tank the next year. In doing this they made it where the fuel would have to go up to get into the tank.Before the year was out they had to replace every boat that they put the 18 gal. tank in.

Does your tank have a short neck that goes straight into the tank or is there a bend in the fill neck? If it has a bend then there might be the problem.

One thing is that diesel will foam and can stop the auto fill til the foam recedes.

I have 08 Allegro Bus on Freightliner. Coach would fill fine but never full. As post above noted I finally cracked off side just enought to let air out and fill on slow setting. Full every time now.