seajaycecil@yahoo.com

Cleaning Bugs From Motorhome

Here is another piece of information that you will wonder how you got along without all these years.

It is easily understood that the velocity of your coach traveling at 65 m.p.h. with a gross weight of some 10 tons has an impact ratio and impact power proportional to the inverse of the kinetic energy (measured in Kelvins) that is inversely proportional to the speed of the vehicle, squared and then multiplied by pie are square (wrong, pie are round, cornbread are square).

With this in mind I shall proceed (someone can explain this to Wayne later).

As the above statement is true it is understood that when ''said vehicle'' traveling at ''said speed'' encounters a large grass hopper, butter fly, lady bug, stink bug or any other insect that happens to cross the path of said vehicle traveling at said speed there is going to be a large SPLAT on the front of said vehicle as said vehicle is not affected by the weight and/or size of said insect because of the kinetic energy developed by said vehicle as described above. Multiply this by jillions of insects over a period of five hundred miles and you will understand why the front of your coach looks like an impact zone for bugs.

This brings us to the heart of the problem. Removal of Said bugs intestines (guts) from front of Said vehicle.

Go to the store and buy yourself a box of those Downy Fabric Softener sheets. They look like thin cloth and they are not as big as a handkerchief. Take two or three of them and fold them together. Wet them slightly and rub the bug splatters and they will come off your coach and windshield with almost no effort. I have been using these on my Pace for nine years and they don't affect the paint or the tape on the coach and they remove bug guts like magic.

Here again is another useless idea from Seajay the sailor man. It is understood that if you use this valuable information You, as a user, shall owe me (Seajay the sailor man) ten cents and this will be payable the next time you see me. If, on the other hand this idea removes part of your twenty thousand dollar paint job................. I NEVER KNEW YOU............

Seajay the sailor man

Guest Wayne77590

Please do not confuse off-brands with Bounce Dryer Sheets. It is well known outside of Seajay's small circle of friends that Bounce Dryer sheets are the original article for removing bugs. One sheet will do a moderately splattered windshield, and even the back of the mirrors, but on occasions two may be necessary.

It is better if you wet the windshield, or any other area of your motor home with water. Then, take a Bounce Dryer Sheet and wipe the affected area. This method keeps whatever chemical in the Bounce Dryer Sheet on the windshield, or other area, instead of rinsing it off on to the ground by wetting it first.

If you are at at truck stop, and they have water available through a hose, you can use a long handle window cleaner. Wet the cleaner thoroughly and then place a Bounce Dryer Sheet on the pad and commence to clean the bug splattered area. You will need to rinse it so water from a hose, or the water bucket with the truck stop cleaner/squeegee will also work. Try not to let to much time go by from using the Bounce Dryer Sheet and the time you rinse, or you will be rinsing twice after it dries.

As for 3 sheets for a windshield - that's overkill. I use 3 sheets of Bounce Dryer Sheets to do an entire F350 King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long bed.

Hey Seajay, thanks for the information. It brings out the best in me. I wish we were travelling together. I need a swab(by) to clean the windshield. :rolleyes:

Wayne, I congratulate you. You finally caught me in an error. I actually wrote Downy and I actually meant to say BOUNCE. I guess this is an

indication that I am getting old. Anyhow, again I congratulate you on being able to read and understand my previous message. I love the ''complete

description'' and detailed information concerning ''use procedures'' for said product and the appropriate applications of same for the purpose of accomplishing

the task at hand. It is still understood that you owe me ten cents for the idea. Your rebuttal will be previous experience concerning a ''bug gut''

removal procedure and prior knowledge of same but we all know that this could be a fabricated statement from you so that you might avoid said payment

(ten cents) to me for the a fore mentioned piece of useless information that you cant live without. None the less, if said payment (ten cents) is not

forthcoming at the appropriate time, my lawyer firm (Catchum, Chetam and Run) shall contact your law firm (Hut, Too, and Three) and the appropriate

law suit shall be filed accordingly.

Be safe on the road my Marine friend and thanks again for your service to my country.......

Seajay the sailor man.

Guest Wayne77590

Go ahead! Bring on the lawyers. My son is a Colonel in the USMC and is a Staff Judge Advocate - so I'm ready. He should be able to defeat anyone you could come up with - even in arm wrestling.

Glad you owned up!!! Now you have two mistakes in your life. One, your enlistment into "that" branch of service - and now this.

Now for another tip:

After flushing your black tank and you put in your deodorizer (you need it) drop in a cap full or two of Calgon Fabric Softener. Have about 5 gallons or so of water in the tank when you do it. Sloshing around will lubricate the tank and makes it flush a lot easier.

Now we are even on the 10 cents.

Note to Wayne the Marine.

Your suggestion concerning the Calgon Fabric Softener is a good one and I think Willa has been using that, or a similar substance, for some

time in our tank for some time now. Here is another suggestion. Occasionally we will buy a couple of those large bags of crushed ice and dump it

in the toilet while we are on the road and moving. The action of the coach going down the road will agitate the ice in the tank and

actually clean the sides of the tank with a scrubbing action as we travel. I think Willa also uses dishwashing detergent to keep it ''sweet

smelling''.

New subject.......Now we are even on the 10 cents........ do you realize that this is an ''admonition'' on your part that you, as the party

of the first part, concerning the ten cents indebtedness to the party of the second part, me, in accordance with your usage of MY IDEA

concerning the removal of ''insect intestines'' from the frontal area of your vehicle, is an admission of debt concerning said subject a fore

mentioned in previous communication. The effort on your part to relieve your indebtedness by the assertion that you have a suggestion

concerning the Calgon Fabric Softener concerning the holding tank in your vehicle should absolve you from said indebtedness to me is not

with standing concerning your indebtedness to me. (Send this to your son and he can explain all the big words)

None the less I have the following consideration.

I, Seajay the sailor man, do forgive and forget any indebtedness to myself from Wayne ''the Marine'' concerning the usage of MY IDEA in the

removal of ''insect intestines'' from his vehicle. It is understood that Wayne ''the Marine'' still owes and shall owe myself ten cents for usage of any and

all other great ideas that have been posted in my name. Ideas like ''SOAP IN A SOCK'' and other ideas previously posted and any further

good idea so posted by myself.

I do this out of the graciousness of my heart and with the full knowledge that you are a MARINE and Marines have a tenancy of admitting guilt and

not realizing same.

One more thing. Willa and I will be heading for Vegas sometime in late August or early September. We can come down thru Texas and I

would consider it a great honor and privilege to meet you and your wife at a camp ground somewhere down there if it would be convient

for you guys. The plans are still kinda lose right now but we will definitely coming that way this fall. If you are interested just e mail me

at seajaycecil@yahoo.com and we will work out the particulars as necessary......

Be safe on the road my Marine friend.

Seajay the sailor man......

p.s. Please thank your son for his service to my country. God bless him and keep him safe.

Guest Wayne77590

The words that I would like to express regarding the tirade of legalese verbage is not printable. So, please look in a mirror and talk sailor to yourself.

Would be happy to meet somewhere in Texas City (Just kidding) but would be happy to meet somewhere close by if time and conditions permit. Coach is in for warranty repairs and on Aug 14 will be in for M2 maintenance and other work at Freightliner. DW would like to go somewhere, but don't know when. Drop me a line on your possible route.

p.s., Do I need to be armed?

Anyone using the dryer sheets to remove bug should know, first it does work pretty good BUT it leaves a smeary white film on the front of the RV, at least on our black paint, thats VERY hard to get off and looks like crap until you get it off.

It might not be so bad on a light colored RV but i wouldn't use it on black.

As the owner/operator of a silver/charcoal/black coach, I deem the warning regarding possible YUCKY STUFF (residue) from the dryer sheet proceedure on dark colored paint well worth the $0.10 remuneration. I will be happily paying bthomforde providing we meet while I can still remember my obligation. (Current memory retention varies from relatively normal to until I have slept more than once)

Thanks for the heads up!!!

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAH, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAH, Whaddddd he say? Do wat he said mean I owe him a dime or do he owe me a dime? Can sombody splain this please? Hay Wayne......... You got any idea what NavyDad said? I will give you half the dime (a nickle) if you will send this to your son, the lawyer, and he can let us know if I got money coming, or not or maybe he is talkin to someone else......

Seajay the sailor man

Guest Wayne77590

My coach color is called "Granite," and is black with silver swirls and some maroon swirls. The front is predominantly black. I have not had any problem with my process using Bounce dryer sheets. I first wet the area thouroughly, working in small areas, like maybe just the bottom half of one side. Then I use a bounce sheet and immediately rinse. No sticky stuff remains. I have noticed that if that portion I am working on is in the sun, then I have to decrease the size I'm cleaning.

Now I do have to admit that if I'm cleaning the entire coach and not just trying to get the bugs off, I use the Mr. Clean automatic (almost) car wash kit that can be purchased at Wally-world. I have never had to wipe the coach down with a dry rag to get water spots off as Mr. Clean uses a filtering system that leaves no streaks or water spots.

Happy cleaning.

For seajay, wayne, and anyone else in those two "off brand" services. How does that old saying go....Marines are onboard ships so the Sailors will have someone to dance with or is that vice versa?

ARMY STRONG!!

Note to Skyking8 .... Ok guy, get your self over to the general discussion and register as a vet. See if you can find some more vets to go over and register so we can form our own ''gang'' ...........

As to your remark about Sailors and that group we haul around to watch our chow lines and gang planks, I say you are jealous because all us ''Anchor Cankers'' are just so gosh darn handsome in our uniforms and the ''Army'' is dressed like most of the hippie kids. (all in fun brother) Good to have you aboard and I will forgive you of your remark, maybe)

( I will explain to Wayne that you are trying to ''slam'' us blue water guys )

GOOD TO HAVE YOU ABOARD......

GOD BLESS OUR VETS........

When I get enough registered I hope to recognize all the vets and thank them for their service to this country.....

Seajay the sailor man .......

You guy's need to take time to read this topic, I read the reply's in it's entirety, and must say I enjoyed it. As you can see it's a little after 1:00 am, and this is the time I just lay back with my Laptop and read...........Good stuff..........OK I was in the other branch from you, but we were all in there about the same time. Now I know how to clean the BUG'S off, thanks and travel safe.

David G.

Yoooooooooooooh. .... David Since you are a ''newbie'' it is necessary that an old salt like me explain a couple of things to you so you get started right

ONE. Welcome to the forums. Wayne the Marine and myself, Seajay the sailor man have appointed ourselves as official ''greeters'' to all ''newbies'' that are vets and have served this wonderful nation with their time and their bodies. We dont care if you have notches on your m16 or if you were typing letters in DC.......... We dont care which ''branch of service'' you served in. (of course the Navy is actually the best branch but that is just an opinion I have) You served so you are one of us vets....... WELCOME BROTHER, IT'S GOOD TO HAVE YOU ON BOARD.....

Two. throughout the forums you will notice helpful hints, good ideas and other stuff posted by myself concerning camping, cooking, showers, coach repairs, warnings, darn good ideas and helpful stuff you just cant live without. You will also notice that most of these ideas are posted by Seajay the sailor man and a very few are posted by Wayne the Marine. Some of the ideas posted by Wayne the Marine are actually borrowed from myself, changed slightly and claimed by Wayne the Marine. This is ok by me since everyone knows that the Marine Corps is a small part o the Navy and that Marines are really nice guys that simply could not get into the U.S. NAVY so they settled for the Marine Corps which is a small part of the U.S. NAVY.

Three. On some of my ''good ideas'' posted throughout the forums you will notice that there is an ''assessment'' of ten cents that is required for the usage of said ''good idea''... This is to be paid to Seajay the sailor man upon request the next time I see you. You are also advised not to give the ten cents to Wayne the Marine as he is not my agent or partner in this venture. He is simply my friend but not my banker.

Four.... POST SOMETHING.... It dont matter what it is. just POST SOMETHING. An adventure, a trip, a thought, an idea, JUST POST SOMETHING TO HELP WAYNE THE MARINE AND MYSELF TO KEEP THIS FORUM INTERESTING.

Five.... Go to General Discussion and register as a vet. I posted ''are you a veteran'' and I would love to have all the vets register there so they may be recognized for their service to this nation.

Six... You can use words like ''shux'', ''heck'', ''oh darn'', and ''drad'' and ''oh fudge'' on here but thats about it concerning military language. We got ladies and civilians here and we have to keep it ''nice nice'' or we get our hand slapped.

Thats about it as far as I can see so .....

WELCOME ABOARD MY VETERAN FRIEND....

ENJOY THE FORUMS AND POST SOMETHING...

Seajay the sailor man....

p.s. If you happen to be in Vegas and you see Wayne the Marine feeding dollar bills into a change machine and getting four quarters in change out of the machine..... DO NOT DISTURB HIM........ He thinks he is playing a slot machine and that he is winning..... (I just had to do that Wayne........)

Guest Wayne77590

David,

Welcome! Thanks for serving. (And now...)

No one needs to worry, it's just his imagination. I sure hope Seajay does not go into detail on a navy shower, like, I mean, "it's my body and I can wash it as fast as I please." I wonder if they really take showers. And don't worry about the 10 cents. He can't count that high.

Glad you got some good information on bugs. Those "Bounce" dryer sheets really work well. Please post your tips so that we can learn from them, although my wife thinks I know it all already.

and remember:

GO

Ain't Really a Marine Yet

And please don't tell those sailors that the Marine Corps is a department of the navy unless you explain that it is "The Men's Department."

Well guys, even Mr. Army, the dryer sheets do work well. If you have a dark colored coach, and don't follow Wayne's recipe, than perhaps you should just clean the bugs off the rear, so folks won't see the smears as you motor on down the road.

I've used both the Calgon (though it is often hard to find these days) and the bag of ice. I also use toilet paper from Costco as it is okay to use in septic tanks as it breaks up readily, and is less expensive than that found in RV stores. My little tip for the day.

Wayne, as an aside, we're all proud of your son's Semper Fi service, even us old sailors.

Also as an aside, I visited my grandson's graduation from USAF, yes AF, boot camp graduation, and decided that although he humiliated this old Doc by not joining the USN (or dare I say, USMC) we're still proud of him. If there's a God up there I sure hope that he/she watches over all of our young men and women who serve so diligently, unselfishly, and honorably, even the ones in the Army.

Smooth sailing all, wind at your backs, etc.

Doc Mike

Well guys, even Mr. Army, the dryer sheets do work well. If you have a dark colored coach, and don't follow Wayne's recipe, than perhaps you should just clean the bugs off the rear, so folks won't see the smears as you motor on down the road.

I've used both the Calgon (though it is often hard to find these days) and the bag of ice. I also use toilet paper from Costco as it is okay to use in septic tanks as it breaks up readily, and is less expensive than that found in RV stores. My little tip for the day.

Wayne, as an aside, we're all proud of your son's Semper Fi service, even us old sailors.

Also as an aside, I visited my grandson's graduation from USAF, yes AF, boot camp graduation, and decided that although he humiliated this old Doc by not joining the USN (or dare I say, USMC) we're still proud of him. If there's a God up there I sure hope that he/she watches over all of our young men and women who serve so diligently, unselfishly, and honorably, even the ones in the Army.

Smooth sailing all, wind at your backs, etc.

Doc Mike

Here's my method of cleaning bugs, etc.

Microfiber cloths with hot water. If really stubborn use a little baking soda on cloth.

I buy mine at Sam's--24 for $10.00.

Good for cleaning everything with just water-- mirrors, leather, etc, You use them over and over with just washing and drying.

I saw some at RV rally (more expensive) and have been telling all my friends to use in house, boat, RV. Cheap and good!

You can get at Walmart or other stores but not as cheap or good.