Sign in to follow this  
neilcarol

Solar Power

Neil, a 24 watt solar panel is common on a number of coaches and is connected to the batteries using a 3 amp fuse. One could go up to a 48 watt panel with a fuse size 5 amp on the low side and 7.5 amp on the high side with out going into a lot of other additional parts, more then that and you should consider charge controllers.

A simple answer, but a starting point.

Rich.

Can't say much for those small trickle solar panels.

We have a 30 watt on our 03 Itasca Suncruiser and it's worthless.

However, I have a plan for you.

Internet: Solar Panels, can't remember the name of the company in Oregon, but it will appear on this web and there will be a phone number to call.

From what I wanted to do, I believe I'll need at least 100 watts.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Right now my problem is getting RV to Oregon.

I have 2 - 120 watt solar panels with a Bluesky controller. Bluesky controllers pull the max out of your solar panels. The panels keep my batteries topped out during the day no matter how much we use them.

Very happy with them.

I bought the panels on eBay for $400.00 and the controller for $186.00 on eBay. Install cost was $500.00. Well worth the money.

We boondock at many NASCAR races without a problem.

Happy camping.

The point is any storage battery (accumulator if you are English) slowly goes dead. With a 12V (okay 13.8V+) solar panel attached across the terminals even 25 mA for 8 hours a day cancels out the slow discharge and maybe even adds a little charge.

I have 2 - 120 watt solar panels with a Bluesky controller. Bluesky controllers pull the max out of your solar panels. The panels keep my batteries topped out during the day no matter how much we use them.

Very happy with them.

I bought the panels on eBay for $400.00 and the controller for $186.00 on eBay. Install cost was $500.00. Well worth the money.

We boondock at many NASCAR races without a problem.

Happy camping.

I know this is a bit dated .... but do you have more info on the panels you got ??? What kind .... size ... weight ??? and who did you have install them ... (( wondering how tuff diy ??)) thx .... thx for post up on this topic .......