api100

Rear View Camera

I have been having problems with the rear view camera on my '05 Revolution staying in focus. As most or us do, I always drive with the camera on so I can keep an eye on my toad. Often after driving an hour or two the picture will start to wiggle and then will go blank. Turning the camera off and back on will sometimes get a picture but will usually go out again. Some days it will stay on and work fine.

The wires on the back of the screen are connected. I have been told there is something I can put on the connections to make them better. Checking the connections on the camera is not easy!

Any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix?

Thanks!

Andy

Hi Andy, from your description I think you have a video problem not a focus problem.

It sounds like an intermittent connection inside the camera itself.

Few questions. Is the problem more prevalent on cold or hot days ? or about the same?

The wiggle generally is caused by a power issue inside the camera assembly and quite often is caused by a cold solder connection. The other part that can cause the problem is a defective filter or bypass capacitor failing ( Braking down internally)

The contact cleaning sprays are for connections exposed to outside weather conditions that cause oxidation to form on the connections and splices in the cabling itself.

Dielectric grease keeps the moisture out of the connections when used properly, but to much and some in the wrong place can block the flow of low level signals and voltages.

Just a note !! Some of the newer rear view camera switching systems use software codes to perform the switching and a problem can be a software signal error or the device the software is controlling. So a little more involved when trouble shooting.

Rich.

Thanks Rich,

I don't know if there is a difference in hot and cold weather. It does happen a lot when it is raining.

Also happens day or night. I have never had the picture go out when the coach is in reverse ( backing in a space etc.). Any hints on accessing the camera? I don't see a way to access from the inside and it is 12.5 ft up on the outside.

You dropped a possible test with your response.

You mentioned that the rear view camera has never failed when in reverse. So if you can interchange the other cameras with the port for the current rear view camera you can see it those cameras work every time you select reverse.

If they work well then you have a soft switch issue, that can be a mechanical relay system or a software driven system.

Could you post the system you have ? Thinking R-5000 considering your make year and model..

Rich.

If you have 3 cameras does the picture go bad on all of them? On mine I had a poor connection on the monitor 12 volt, fix that and everythings ok.

With only one camera, that makes things simpler.

Your rear view camera connection access is from the outside, there is a removable cover or panel. There have been reports of poor connections between the camera cables and the cabling running to the monitor at the driver station.

Check all the connections at the back of the monitor. check for loose or connectors that are not snapped together tightly. also check for pins with in the connector that are not seated properly.

The connections at the camera are often just made with wire nuts and can loosen or oxidize.

If you are one who dislikes working from ladder you might want to get some help working on these connections. Check the grounds carefully.

If the connection work does not clear the problem you will need to have the camera and monitor checked by some one. Some security companies have personal who are familiar with a number of different camera and monitor models. One of there tech. might be willing to look at things.

Rich.

...Thinking R-5000 considering your make year and model...

Rich.

If you do have the R 5000, and you can get access to the back of the unit you can see where everything is plugged in. My GPS quit working, I pulled the cover off the R 5000 and could see where it had come unplugged from the back of the 5000. EVERYTHING that shows on the screen is plugged in to the back of the unit.