Sign in to follow this  
andyshane

Dashboard Blower Works on High Only

I didn't realize this problem is so common in cars, and I've been putting up with it for two weeks.

The switch has four speed settings; nothing happens until High is selected.

In the course of troubleshooting, I erroneously decided the switch was at fault using a multimeter, and found a replacement at the local Napa store for $20.

You can already guess: the problem persists with the new switch. That pretty much narrows the search down to the blower motor resistor; but, finding it has been a challenge.

I introduced the problem at iRV2 last night, and a fine guy immediately proposed l look atop the plenum, sent a photo.

Well, Beaver owners, there is a challenge here: our Canadian friends have wedged the connector against the underside of the dash. Then, to compound the difficulty, someone has encased my resistor pack in a huge mass of expanding foam.

Has anyone done this procedure? Any tips?

As the repair progresses, I'll post news so that future owners can be spared the spooling up I've endured...

The AC unit was made by Specific Climate Systems of Fort Worth, amazingly. Not fifteen miles away, as the crow flies. However, they have apparently gone out of business.

Yes Andy I have replaced quite a few resistor in autos. And it was right there in plain sight on the right side firewall in the plenum. Is your between the plenum and wall in your entrance under the dash? If so it may be a job removing not only the foam but the screws also. Good luck and be careful.

Herman

Andy, The resistor is the bad boy in most cases. With it being wedged between the blower housing and the dash, could you remove the blower housing; cut through the foam with a knife and remove the assembly so you can work on it.

Anything in your photo files yet?

Rich.

New to FMCA, tire deal attracted me. I had the same symptoms on aonn 05 VECTRA. Followed the same logic, switch replacement and then the fan speed resistor without any affect. Finally replaced the fan speed relay and this did the trick-all speeds back.