Sign in to follow this  
andyshane

To Monitor or Not To Monitor: Tire Pressure Systems

Having just upgraded to a tag-axle rig, I happily ordered a set of extra sensors from Daryl and Cheri at Lawrence Electronics Sales.

They sell TireTraker TPMS for RVs. I've had great luck with the product; and, when I called to order a new sensor after a catastrophic dolly tire failure launched one into orbit (it faithfully transmitted the loss back to the receiver as it headed off on its one-way doomed flight), Daryl wouldn't hear of me paying. I protested, saying there was no way he in any way was responsible for an arbitrary tire failure, but he held firm (for the tires' manufacturer, Carlisle, it was a different matter).

The icing on the cake: after submitting today's order, I held my breath as shipping and handling was calculated. Such is the fashion nowadays, with vendors gouging the dickens out of customers after they've already committed...

Are you ready for this? USPS standard delivery, packed and shipped, for $2.95.

Now, some two years after my initial purchase, I like my TireTraker system; but I LOVE Lawrence Electronics Sales.

Kudos to Daryl and Cheri!

Followup: I got a personal note from Daryl, in addition to my emailed receipt. It is SUNDAY. They have a customer for life.

We had a blow out on the toad and lost the tire, valve stem and sensor.

I called Lawrence Electronics to buy a new one and he said not to worry that I had enough to pay for buying a new tire and valve stem that he'd send me a new sensor for free.

I agree Lawrence Electronics has the best customer service.

Brian

I'm real happy with my Tire Traker system from Lawrence, as well. Had one sensor go wonky and they exchanged it, no cost, no hassle. I like having the piece of mind to be able to see the status of each tire whenever I want. And I think the pressures are more accurate than from a gauge. In fact, when I put air in, I use the sensors to set the pressure. Typically getting the pressure slightly higher than I want, then letting a bit "leak out" while putting the sensor on and off, until I get it where I want it. Now if I could only find a solution to having a little more space between my dualies, I'd be real happy. I have the sensors right on each valve stem, with no extender, (as I don't trust extenders).

John,

Check with one of the truck tire companies. There are spacers out there for your wheels. However be sure you have enough thread on your wheel studs for the added spacers.

Herman

At the beginning of April, I will have the RV near where I bought tires last April. This was a tire dealer in Port Richey, FL, they work on a lot of RV's, (big snowbird traffic in that area). Anyway, do you think they might have the spacers or be able to get them?

If I could get 1 inch more between them, that'd be great, Even just a half an inch would help. Last time I checked and put air in all the tires, I got a rub burn on my wrist, squeezing it in and out of the space between the dualies.

I'm real happy with my Tire Traker system from Lawrence, as well. Had one sensor go wonky and they exchanged it, no cost, no hassle. I like having the piece of mind to be able to see the status of each tire whenever I want. And I think the pressures are more accurate than from a gauge. In fact, when I put air in, I use the sensors to set the pressure. Typically getting the pressure slightly higher than I want, then letting a bit "leak out" while putting the sensor on and off, until I get it where I want it. Now if I could only find a solution to having a little more space between my dualies, I'd be real happy. I have the sensors right on each valve stem, with no extender, (as I don't trust extenders).

If you don’t trust extenders go to a truck tire place and have them install longer steel valve stems of the proper length.

Bill

I use Tire Minder TPMS. I have been in the RV business for some 37 years and haven't found a nicer couple to do business with than Chuck and Debbie.