bizsmith@yahoo.com

High Park Voltage

By far the biggest problem I have had in parks (especially state parks) has been low voltage. The electronics in my coach shuts down on low voltage. I can use a buck boost transformer although I don't like to because it penalizes other campers on the same circuit. My problem here in West Texas is just the opposite. The park voltage can swing high enough that the surge protection will shut the coach power down. This usually happens about bed time. Apparently the power companies do not regulate well enough. What can I do about this? Not only annoying but it is not good for the frig, microwave, etc.

How high is "high"? Over 130 VAC?

Particularly if on 30 amp shore power, turning on a high amp draw like small electric heater can bring voltage down to an acceptable level.

My built in surge protect seems to be set at 132 and it has shut down a couple of times. My voltage monitor is not extremely accurate but I have seen it indicate 131 several times. On my 50 amp service, one leg seems to be "wild" with the other leg holding at 124-126. Unfortunately, it seems the 30 amp breaker on the pedestal is tied to the wild leg and the 20 amp to the stable. I could live with the 30. I agree that loads would tend to stabilize the fluctuations but that does not seem the case here.

Another unfortunate aspect is that the park electrician does not believe there is a problem. The fluctuations do not occur when he is on duty. I don't think he could do anything anyway as I think the problem originates at the power company. His solution was to swap the pedestal breaker which of course didn't really do anything.

biz,

I don't know if there are any left out there but there was a power system called Delta. I know years ago they had it in Amarillo, TX, On a unit I had repaired several time, I checked the power. 285 volts. I thought my meter was bad and called the power company. He said yep, 285 volts. We had to add capacitor to all the units to take the surge that would drop to 180 up 290 volts at any given time.

Lots of parks will have a power rise in the evening when every one turns off all there stuff. Sound to me like your surge protector is doing its job.

Good Luck

Herman

Herman,

I have been around electricity for a long time, including many third world countries. Never heard of 120 VAC reading 285VAC. All I can say is WOW, and grab your check book!

We used the "load" fix many times in Mexico, where voltage is less-well regulated. Combination of high voltage and small-gauge CG wiring made adding a load just the right formula for dropping voltage.

This is our second Texas State Park with about the same problem. First was Choke Canyon, now in Garner. They are in wildly expanding oil fields with a lot of new power lines. I think the power company may be having trouble keeping up with the expansion.

Sorry Brett, I was working with 220 volt machines. By the way one of the machines was a Towel Folding Machine. Flat towel in French folded towel out and stacked.

Herman

Talk about boys toys!!! Sorry Herman, couldn't resist that one :D .