Sign in to follow this  
schnauzerhome

HWH Front Left Jack Leaking Fluid

The other system used on your year is made by Power gear. If you have the name off the leveling system control panel. Post it on the thread and if there is a panel number also post that information should it be different then HWH.

As mentioned below there are a number of kits for the power gear jacks, so If you find the jacks are made by Power Gear. Then we can look at the kits and see if we can get you close to the parts needed.

Rich.

Are you sure they are HWH? I had a 96 Itasca and I am sure the rods were stainless steel. My 2000 Discovery are Power Gear. I had to replace the right front jack several years ago and there is, or was a rebuild kit. Mine had corrosion on the hyd. rod which rendered it scrap. It was a better deal to just buy the whole thing new. Not cheap!! My problem was that the design of those jacks left an area about 3/8 in. between the seal and the end of the tube where salt and dirt could collect. Then when the jack is run up and down it tears up the seal. The newer one I got from the factory had a dust seal at the end of the tube and a grease fitting on the side to keep this area clean. Don't know why but my rear jacks came this way. They told me to apply Lithium base grease (reg. auto grease would damage the seals) to the rods when they were extended so it would deposit around the seals when retracted.

If it is an HWH jack you can take it off, send it back to them and they will rebuild it for you. I've had to do that with both of my rear jacks and each time the price was less than one-half the cost of a new replacements.

HWH is apparently quite proud of their equipment and will only do the rebuild at the factory. Unless they've changed recently they do not let their dealers do rebuilds nor supply any rebuild parts for the DIY types.

If you get the model number off the jack they can give you an idea of the rebuild cost with a phone call.

The only complaint that I had with their process is they leave you in the dark about when the jack will be finished and returned. One jack was with them for about 3 months and they wouldn't return any calls about its status until they were ready to ship it back. The second one came back in about 1 month. Still, if it's HWH they are the only game around.

This is a timely post. I'm minutes away from dealing with the same problem. Will blog what I discover.

So far, Power Gear has said to examine the jack prior to making the decision to order a seal kit. I'm not sure what to read into that, but we'll pull 'er off and do some exploration...

Update (Also in my blog):

Repairing the leg is not going to happen, I'm sorry to say. I filmed the removal, put it in the shop vice and began taking the jack apart. Upon manually extending the leg, there was a crunch as we neared full extension, I forced it into view and the ugliest gouge you've ever seen became visible.

Chances are, a bit of metal or a bolt/pin has been riding in the leg harmlessly, until I ran it to full length therefore forcing the debris into the lower seal. Or, the twist might've broken off something at the upper end of the rod and it failed immediately.

In either case, the leg is worthless. Full replacement is required.