Sign in to follow this  
jomarfl

Grease Gun

Okay Dumb Question Possibly,

Since my coach is now out of it's year warranty and I'm doing my own oil changes................the question of greasing the little tabs on the chassis. I change my oil every 3,000 miles religiously whether a car or coach. I know, no good reason too waste dino oil, but it was instilled in me years ago and I just can't stop.

Question on the grease gun is this. Is a grease gun for greasing a car any different from a coach or will one do the other? Is there a special grease gun for coache chassis?

Thanks

Since my coach is now out of it's year warranty and I'm doing my own oil changes................the question of greasing the little tabs on the chassis. I change my oil every 3,000 miles religiously whether a car or coach. I know, no good reason too waste dino oil, but it was instilled in me years ago and I just can't stop.

Question on the grease gun is this. Is a grease gun for greasing a car any different from a coach or will one do the other? Is there a special grease gun for coache chassis?

Thanks

I use one I bought at an auto supply store. I did replace the metal output shaft with a flexible hose. I also find a pistol grip type much easier to use than the old lever type.

The grease zerks on your coach ARE the same as those on a truck or car. And as suggested, a flex hose is often much easier to use than a straight metal extension.

But, check in your chassis owners manual to verify that the grease you have in there meets the MIL specs for your RV chassis. The chances are it will.

And on oil change interval why not go with the manufacturers change interval. If you want to "treat" your engine, switch to a synthetic and stick with the dino change interval.

Brett Wolfe

Guest BillAdams

Thanks

You do understand that the folks who instilled that 3,000 mile oil change in your mind are the folks who make money changing your oil, right? There are NO VALID REASONS to change your oil that often. NONE! If your engine manufacturer was concerned about the life of your engine (since they are the ones who have to pay for warranty repairs) they would list your oil change interval at 3,000 miles. Of course, this is not the case and the only thing you accomplish with your 3,000 mile oil change is that you waste oil and, more importantly, you waste a tremendous amount of your hard earned money.