TallahasseeJoe

Ford V10 in the Mountains

Will be going on a road trip from Fl. to CA. in our 2010 Coachman Mirada 35Ds. It’s on a Ford chassis and has a Ford gas V10 engine. My concern is if the gas engine will perform well in the mountains my toad is a Honda CRV. I can UN hook the toad and drive it if needed. Any feed back will be appreciated. Thanks Joe

Hi Joe, do not think you should have any problem regarding power.

Just check the total weight of the coach and toad. to stay with in capacities.

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating):
The maximum permissible weight of the unit, including
the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) plus all fluids, cargo,
optional equipment and accessories. For safety and
product performance, do not exceed the GVWR.
CW (Curb Weight): The weight of the unit without factory
or dealer installed options, plus allowance for the weight
of full fuel capacity. The “payload capacity” for all other
fluids, cargo, occupants, optional equipment, and
accessories can be determined by subtracting the CW
from the GVWR.
GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating): The maximum
total weight of the loaded unit, plus a tow vehicle. This
includes the weight of both the unit and tow vehicle,
fuel for each, all other fluids, cargo, occupants, optional
equipment and accessories.

Have a safe Trip and enjoy yourselves.

Rich.

Joe,

Welcome to the Forum.

Most all coaches perform well on up and down grades. When I can, I will increase my RPMs just as I come to an incline. This will increase your torque and help maintain your speed.

However in the mountains coaches with higher torque will fair better. But when to road is steep and curvy ever body will experience slow going. If at all possible keep your RPMs up and your eye on the road. You will make it to the top. Dropping to a lower gear just before the climb will help.

Go enjoy the trip and when in the mountains let the DW tell you how beautiful the view is as you view the road.

Have a safe trip.

Herman

My 2002 Ford V-10 in my ex 32' Brave towing a 4500# Ford Explorer has been all over the northern rockies, Wyoming anf Montana. Never a problem although going over the Bighorn's and a few other places, we did slow to 45MPH a few times. We had the 2nd generation V-10 so you have even more HP. The V-10 is a high RPM engine and likes to scream on long steep pulls. You should not have any problems. I sometimes wish I still had that Brave.

My 2011 Itasca Sunova 33B towing a 4200lb Acura MDX has been over the Rockies twice. I usually slow to 40-45 on steep, high grades, run in 3rd gear and that keeps RPMS in the high 3000 range, smooth, quiet and steady. Let's me enjoy the scenery, too.

Thanks to all who responded to my post. The information you gave will make my wife happy. She was concerned about the hills. We do most of our traveling and camping around Florida and now she ready to head west. Kind regards, Joe and Carole

Joe Welcome to the forum. I don’t know your level of experience with this engine is. Don’t let the fact that the V10 is a higher revving engine worry you. There is a built in reve limiter and you can’t hurt the engine by letting it rev.

You should have no problem with the coach pulling any of the grades out west.

Bill

Joe Welcome to the forum. I don’t know your level of experience with this engine is. Don’t let the fact that the V10 is a higher revving engine worry you. There is a built in reve limiter and you can’t hurt the engine by letting it rev.

You should have no problem with the coach pulling any of the grades out west.

Bill

Translation...the V10 will be screaming bloody murder, but will do the job and you won't hurt anything. :D

Tallahassee Joe, we may be late in responding to your post; we went out west this past summer for 3 months and we have a 34 ft. Allegro Open Road Ford V-10. It was our first trip out west and into the Rockies and we were like you, most traveling done in Tennessee, Georgia, Florida. We were very concerned about the mountain grades, we were very pleased to find that we didn't have any problems and were able to go anywhere a Motor Home can go in the Rockies with no problems. Yes we slowed down on the winding roads and steep climbs, but so did the folks we were traveling with and they were in a Diesel. You just don't get in a hurry in surroundings like that! We had a wonderful time, and made some wonderful memories. We hope that your trip will be just as amazing.