Sign in to follow this  
DaveYeskey

Driving between Livingston and Coeur D'Alene on I-90

Good Morning:

This summer we will be traveling throughout the Mountain West, one area in particular is on I-90 in Montana.

We have a 40-foot diesel pusher pulling a car. I was wondering if anyone could comment on driving the 390 miles on I-90 between Livingstone, MT and Coeur D'Alene, ID and if it is recommended to do this drive all in 1-stretch or would it be better to break it into 2-stretches by say stopping in Missoula, MT.

The stretch from Missoula, MT to Coeur D'Alene, ID on I-90 appears to be an interesting and maybe challenging stretch with lots of curves to accomplish.

Thank You Dave

We will also be driving the same highway in a diesel pusher pulling a car probably in Sept...Any experienced help would be appreciated.

We drove that stretch west to east in 2000, in a 31 ft Gas coach pulling a Jeep Cherokee. Had no issues. We try to cover 250 - 350 miles a day when traveling, unless there are things to see, That area is very scenic. If you can take the time to go to Glacier NP, you wont be disappointed!

I-90 through Montana is a regular freeway you could see anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. It has mostly 4 lanes (2 lanes each way), has some steep hills and a few sharpish turns, mostly when passing through a couple mountain passes... like just East of Coeur D'Alene... and in the passes the roads have some damage due to rock slides. You will be traveling slower than most traffic because Montana has a very fast designated speed during daylight hours... upwards to 80 and 90 mph. Traveling at night can be a problem - lots of wild animals in Montana and they cross the roads frequently, and mainly at night. The speed enforcement is more closely watched at night due to animals on the roads. I have traveled I-90 from Seattle to Billings... more frequently in Washington, not so much in Montana. Driving across Montana and Idaho on I-90 you will see about everything... except skyscrapers... lots of sage brush on the flats and lots of timber in the mountains.

Don't be in a rush- enjoy the scenery. Livingston has a 50 amp campground at the Fairgrounds for $15 a nite. We will be there end of May

Thanks for all the info...This is our first trip out west and we will be in no hurry...Planning on taking 3 months and driving about 7,000 miles.

cpenn,

It sound like you are going to make a great trip. My question is about your departure time and how much time you plan to travel. If you are planning on leaving in September which is the beginning of very cold weather in North Dekota and Montana. Three months will take you into November which can be really cold and snowing.

Just my thoughts.

Herman

Herman,

We will be gone from home about 3 months.

We plan on leaving middle of August and in Seattle by middle of Sept...Our plan is to do Rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier, and be out of there by the 2nd week of Sept...Do you think the weather will still be ok through the middle of Sept?

Charles

Charles, no that should be OK. On your trip, when you get to Mt. Rushmore be sure to go at night if at all possiable. The sight is awsome. Then going to Yellowstone, don't miss Devils Tower and Cody. Plan to stay several day in Cody so you can do the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. I envey you on Glacier, we have never been, hope to soon.

Have a wonderful time.

Herman

Thanks for all of the replies and feedback, since this is my first time on this forum I hope I am following the rules in responding correctly.

We too try to drive about 275 + 25 miles a day, since we are retired and in no hurry. Based on what I have read, sounds like Livingston to Missoula and then the next day to Coeur D'Alene and we will be doing it in late July.

We too are going to get out of the desert heat in mid-June for about 3 months or about 6,000 miles of sightseeing, national parks, national monuments and museums. Out of Phoenix and up the eastern side of the Rockies all the way to Lake Louise, AB and then down the western side of the Rockies to Zions before returning to Phoenix in mid-September.

In 2012, we left Texas in May, then June was in CA visiting. We spent July and August on the California coast with temperatures hovering between 65 and 70 degrees. We beat the Texas heat. Our last stop in California was Four Seasons RV Resort on the Rogue River. We took the 104 mile round trip ride in a jet boat and never regretted it. We then headed to Sutherland, OR. There is a wonderful Escapee's park their with all lots 55 feet wide by 80 feet long. No reservations, first come first serve and we called ahead and there was room at $118 a week (Oh oh! Let the at cat out of the bag.) Then up to Washington, across to Missoula (Jim & Mary's - nice) then to Columbia Falls, MT at the RV park there for our excursion into Glacier NP. Several stops later across I-90 we stopped at Ellsworth AFB and after that headed South, back to Texas.

We were in a 40 ft DP pulling a Saturn Vue. You can search on tips and tricks for ascending and descending hills. I-90 is all doable, just keep right and let the others pass. Always, always use lower gears going downhill and use the brakes sparingly. We did 4600+ miles and enjoyed every moment. (Well, sans one when the awning billowed out, but that's another story.)

Happy trails.

We made a trip starting last June from San Antonio, north to Walker, MN, then to Rapid City and Rushmore and other sights, you'll want to spend some time in this area. On to Montana, Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Lake Louise, Kelowna BC, Surrey BC, Seattle and cruise to Alaska, down to Oregon, over to Salt Lake City, down to all National Parks in Utah, Lake Powell, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, Dodge City then home to San Antonio. All together 6,000 miles and 5 months. Great trip. Driving in Montana is just like anywhere else in the Rockies; the only thing that was a problem is finding diesel. Don't let your tank get too low. We left Rapid City with 1/2 tank. No diesel until Garryowen, on fumes!

It is a good distance between Rapid City on Rt. 90 to where you get to Rt.94 in Montana and at night they roll up welcome rug and turn off the lights. BTDT on fumes myself. :D

Rich.