Sign in to follow this  
oscarpower

Acadia Nat'l Park - Fall Leaves/Colors

Question

We are planning a trip to the North East, up to Maine. Planning on staying...maybe a week at the Nat'l Park. Would prefer that it be during the change of color of the leaves.... So we can enjoy not only what Bal Harbor has to offer, but also Acadia's beautiful colors.

I know it is difficult to predict the exact time of the year, but can someone advice us, Floridians, when would be the best time to go? Mid September? End of September? Maybe October? I've been told that I should make reservations at least six months before.

We don't have a route, yet.... so all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

28' Concord/Coachmen with tow car

2 answers to this question

Hello Jocelynn and Quico!

Arcadia Has a special charm. Late August is when the battle between Fall and Winter starts. Sunny days and Gray days.

Fall colors start around the second week of September in Northern Maine and then move South over the next 2 months or so. Elevation has and affect on when the trees change color. The Higher trees change color sooner as a rule, cooler on the top of the mountains.

When frost covers the trees, the leaves change to a more vivid color. When we have a dry summer and early fall, the leaves change, but the colors are not as vivid. Every year is different, Mother nature paints her fresh canvas in many different colors every year.

Are you what many of the residents up our way call Flat Landers, people who live in a level area or Ridge Runners; the ones who live in the higher areas, in the hills or mountains? What is your comfort area?

Some of our roads cross areas that quite hilly and some of the roads have some very steep grades with allot more curves.

There are some Rts. that are and easy drive and others are more challenging. You might like to drive the toad on some of the rural roads. There are roads that are not RV friendly, low bridges and weight limited. Covered bridges are not high enough for Class C or larger coach's to clear.

When you have an area in mind that you would like to visit, let me know. Then I can offer more information on roads. You can contact states for travel information and if you belong to AAA, they have a number of brochures for one to look at. Stop at one of there centers as many of the folders a free, but members have a wider choice.

We love to show off our part of the country and in the Fall it can really light up !!!

Rich.

Thank you Rich!

That's a lot of good info.... I plan to copy it and save it, for right now, we have decided to go next year instead of this one. Two other friends also would like to go with us, but they cannot make it this year.

We'll keep in touch!

Jocelynn