erniemotz

Power Gear Leveling Jacks

We have a 2008 Monaco La Palma Diesel and are experiencing problems with the leveling jacks not lowering.

The technician has not been able to resolve the problem. The on/off and wait lights flash but the jacks do not lower.

According to Power Gear technical tip #184 the condition indicates the cause of the problem is "Transmission is in gear OR improper wiring of the neutral safety switch wires". The touchpad is 500629. The technician indicated he checked the wiring.

Power Gear has not responded to the technicians inquiries. Has anyone had a similar problem?

My problem was that the jacks would not come up high enough to get the light to go off and sometimes when the light did go off the alarm would sound when you put the tranny in drive. At first, not knowing what to do, I put a car floor jack under each jack and gently put it up with the jack. I found the fautly jack on my second try--the light went off--and stayed off. Closer inspection indicated there is a grease fitting at the bottom of the each jack, a little grease fixed that problem. Anyone know how it check the fluid level in the system? Thanks, Ron

We found a service center in Minot, ND that actually knew how to work on our RV (as opposed to the dealership in Winnipeg). The Minot service center determined that the problem was not with PowerGear but rather with a relay in the Monaco coach. Once the relay was replaced all the problems with the levelling jacks disappeared and they have been working fine every since. Although we had purchased our LaPalma new, the dealership in Winnipeg had had the unit on their display floor for about 8 months. Lots of sales staff and customers were in and out of the unit and as such they had discharged the batteries numerous times. The sales staff stressed some of the electrical relays by improperly charging the batteries. We have so far replaced 3 separate relays (that have eventually died due to the previous stress). One of these relays was related to the levelling jacks. Moral of the story is "even if you buy NEW, don't expect to be trouble free". BUT we love our motorhome and the ability to travel where and when we like with our house on our back (our bed, our food, no packing and unpacking).

Nothing like the freedom of the open road and all the while sleeping in your own bed....even if you are camping in the parking lot of a repair center....LOL!!!

We are still chasing gremlins from our new purchased coach, but it is all part of the journey process. AS you have now also found out, the second best thing to RV freedom is a dependable service center.