BNichols

Tow Bars: Roadmaster vs Blue Ox vs Demco vs NSA Ready Brake

I just replaced my '04 Saturn Vue toad with a '13 Ford Focus SE Titanium HB. Even though I've been using a Roadmaster Falcon and an Even Brake, I will be replacing both.

My quandry is which towbar to go with. I'm hoping to get enough feedback with both pros and cons of each brand before I make my final decision.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am towing a 2013 Focus Titanium hatch with the Roadmaster sterling and the Invisibrake.

No problems going from ny to Florida and back.

My MH is a Jayco Greyhawk 31 ds.

I have been using the Roadmaster Sterling with the SMI brake system for over 30,000 miles with no problems. Easy to hook and unhook, and the SMI brake system is great in that it is a system that requires two events to engage, not just the brake lights. Gives you really true proportional braking.

I have used the below BO and BB on a 2008 Jeep Liberty and now the Sonic. Both have provided excellent performance.

It has worked well for me. Easy setup, disconnect, and storing. Got the BB to easily move from one vehicle to another. Went from the liberty to the sonic. Who knows where it goes next, but I like the portability.

I also use the BlueOx to tow a Ford Explorer. I've had the BO about 8 yrs and have used it on two coaches. A few years ago

I was in the area of the BO factory (Pender, Ne) so I visited their factory. While there they refurbished my tow bar, new bolts, washers

etc. at a very minimal fee. I've towed over 40k miles and still working great.

I have used a Demco tow bar for about 8 years and towed 4 different vehicles about 60,000 miles with no problems. I have installed tow brackets on all 4 vehicles myself, one of the brackets was a Roadmaster since Demco didn't make a bracket for that car (2000 mustang). In my opinion, the Demco products were much better engineered to fit and install.

I would like to thank all that have responded to my question.

Is there anybody else that would care to contribute their opinions?

We think that Blue Ox and Roadmaster are first class in customer service and support. Roadmaster has many more miscellaneous parts and products and is sold in Camping World. And both make good towbars.

But for the life of me, I cannot see why Roadmaster baseplates are desired over Blue Ox. After we disconnect our toad, we quickly & easily always remove two small round Blue Ox inserts to make our Jeep look 'normal' and not bump our legs when we walk in front of our car. I know Roadmaster baseplate outside parts can be removed, but nowhere near as easy as Blue Ox inserts. And to store the Roadmaster parts is another story as it is big and heavy. Most never remove Roadmaster parts from front of toad and to me, the cars look like toads, shins get bumped by owners and strangers, and towing hookup parts are vulnerable to parking lot damage.

Roadmaster will go around to all coaches at a rally and service any Roadmaster tow bar they find on a coach, BTW...

I am a Nicky new guy at RV'ing but myself and a friend just installed a Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit on my 2011 Jeep Wrangler. Have towed the Jeep a couple of times and the BO is very easy to hook up and un hook. Like everything about it so far.

I just switched from Roadmaster to Blue Ox when I bought a new toad.

I think that they both make good products but, like foretraveler above, I really didn't like all that hardware of the Roadmaster hanging off the front end of my small car when not towing. Now, the Blue Ox hook up is nearly invisible once I pull the attaching pins.

That said, I prefer the Roadmaster tow bar for the sleeker design and slightly simpler operation.

If I could have arranged it more expeditiously, I think that I would have bought the Blue Ox base plate and a Roadmaster towbar with Blue Ox ends.

Since I have a coach with air brakes and a new car on the M&G fit list (actually a purchase criteria) I will shortly be installing an M&G auxiliary air brake in the new car.

We think that Blue Ox and Roadmaster are first class in customer service and support. Roadmaster has many more miscellaneous parts and products and is sold in Camping World. And both make good towbars.

But for the life of me, I cannot see why Roadmaster baseplates are desired over Blue Ox. After we disconnect our toad, we quickly & easily always remove two small round Blue Ox inserts to make our Jeep look 'normal' and not bump our legs when we walk in front of our car. I know Roadmaster baseplate outside parts can be removed, but nowhere near as easy as Blue Ox inserts. And to store the Roadmaster parts is another story as it is big and heavy. Most never remove Roadmaster parts from front of toad and to me, the cars look like toads, shins get bumped by owners and strangers, and towing hookup parts are vulnerable to parking lot damage.

I use the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar with a Demco base plate I modified to accept the Roadmaster ends. It is fixed, not removable, but it does not stick out further than the center peak of the bumper. Its on a Silverado 1500.

My toad has followed us for 7 yrs. Started out with Blue Ox, after problems that Blue Ox ignored, I kept the Blue Ox base plate (I like the removable inserts) and use a Demco. It came with an adapter for BO, this combination provides better disconnection when not on level ground or on a turn. I am a happy camper, Demco has a presence at most RV shows I've been to - this is a plus.

Just bought my first motorhome. 2011 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 37 feet. Picking up my toad today. Found a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport that is in great shape for something with 100,000 miles on it.

After reading some of these posts, I went on line and bought the Blue-Ox tow bar system and the Patriot Portable Braking System from Blue-Ox.

Hope to have everything put together the end of this week. Will let you know how it goes.

I am really green at all this and depend on what I hear from other RV'ers.

Hope I will have good news down the line.

The one thing to remember is that Roadmaster is made in the US not like the other one which is made in India. Roadmasterer manufactures almost all of the individual parts in house with state of the art equipment.

We have used BO and no problems. Tried the brake buddy and thought it was apain in the butt. Now use theReady brake receiver. Hook up is easy,virtually invisable. Safe travels. Ed

I've been towing a Honda Element for a year now, with a Roadmaster Sterling and an RVi brake system. No problems, easy hookup, easy off. I pop two pins and the whole front assembly slides right off the car. If we're just overnight I'll leave it on going to the store or whatnot, and against all odds I've managed to walk around the front without bumping into my own car. ;-)