Adonh

Trying To Find A Dinghy For 4 Wheels Down Towing

Hello everyone.

This topic has probably been covered before i just can't locate it. I have a new to me Class A motohome diesel pusher and would like tow a dinghy 4 wheels down. My first choice was my current 2003 Mercury Sable (Same as Ford Taurus) front wheel drive auto trans. But from what I have been able to find it is not 4 wheels down towable.

So I will need to look find another vehicle for 4 wheel down towing.

Thanks for any input

Don

I would stick with a manual transmission because they seem to have a less problems. I tow a Silverado 6 cyl 5 speed for over 100,000 miles with no problems.

We have been towing a saturn SC2 with Auto trans since it was new in 2001 and never a problem. Now has 65,000 miles on it so I just bought a new one to tow 4wheels down and it is a 2013 Chev Sonic 5 door hatchback that weighs 2700 pounds and we love it. Road master makes tow brackets for it that will mate with our other towing equipment and we only have to buy the hidden brackets and the wiring kit, for 399.00 and 75.00. Prolly a couple hundred labor at camper world to get in installed. Bill in San Jose, CA

There are many automatic transmissions out there that can be towed. My wife can't shift for herself so we need an automatic. We have a 2008 Saturn Vue with auto that tows very easy. Prior to that we had an '02 PT Cruiser with a pump for the trans. That adds almost a $1000. to the price of towing.

I add my 2 cents for Jeep Wrangler 4 WD 4 dr hardtop, on my second one, easy to hook up to a 45 ft Thor Mandalay, don't know it is being towed. This is a perfect fit as we travel from camp site to offroad areas.

I have a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with Quadradrive II transmission and it tows beautifully and it is easy to put everything into neutral.

It's hard to beat a Honda CRV, has instructions in the owner's manual (so there is no doubt you can tow it four down), plus Honda's reliability, economy, and resale value.

Towed a Jeep Wrangler 4 down for many miles, no problem.

Towed a GMC Yukon XL 4 X 4, 4 down many miles, no problem.

Now tow a Chevy Silverado 2 WD 4 down with a drive shaft disconnect many miles, and again no problems, (except from friends that wish I had the Yukon back because it would carry 8 when we would go out to eat.)

Loves them all,

Herman

I've towed two Saturns L series automatics, last one had over 102,000 showing (didn't include towed miles) with no problem from them. We looked and drove three jeeps and a Honda CRV. Both had a rough ride as my wife has a bad back and needs comfort we discounted both. Also, we were surprised the Honda only comes with a 4-banger engine. After a test drive, it had no pickup speed in the mid to upper range, just a lot of noise from an engine being overworked. We chose the Buick Enclave meeting our needs and desires and towable 4 down..

Another option is to keep your 2003 Mercury Sable and equip it with an auxiliary transmission pump, which makes it towable 4-wheels down. We just did this to our old Toyota Highlander. We've only towed it a few hundred miles, so I can't testify as to the long-term suitability of such an option, but you may want to check out the Remco towing website: http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/product.php?f=lubePumpKit.php.

Skip

Ford/Mercury makes a neutral switch that's installed in the transmission for a lot of their rwd automatic transmission vehicles which allows you to tow 4 down safely. We have 07 Explorer 20,000 later no problems. $800.00 part/install.

Mike

Another vote for the Honda CRV. We did install a fuse switch so we wouldn't have to pull a fuse, after having a dead battery on one trip. I realized later that I had forgotten to turn off the climate control and the fan had run the whole day. Probably the only reason that the battery was dead.

We bought a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible with manual transmission as my wife can drive it. Its a little on the heavy side. Now we might be looking at a CR-V that is already set up for a Blue Ox system.

If we don't buy, would you be interested in it?

I tow a 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Automatic. Weighs in a little over 4000#. Installed Remco Drive Shaft Connect, have towed it around five hundred miles no problem. Cost of Drive Shaft Disconnect installed for me was $850.00, normally $800-$1200. Roadmaster base plate, wiring, and tow bar +- $2000.00 installed.

Winny Journey 2002, ISB 230 HP, Allison 200, MPG seems not to change with or without toad, more effected by speed.

I like to keep things simple and tow a 2010 Honda Fit with automatic drive. Pre-tow instructions are simple and easy to follow plus you have the reliability of a Honda. The only drawback for you might be the smaller size but it works well for my wife and me and she drives it as a second vehicle when we are not traveling. I would definitely buy another one as a tow vehicle.

We have towed a 2003 CRV since it was new. It has 110000 miles and an estimated 70000 miles towed (never pulled a fuse). The only reason we have not traded for a new one is that we like the interior configuration of the '03. I like the lighter weight over some of the larger SUV's but it is not a light weight on safety ratings. Consult the towing guide for the most help in a selection.

I am looking at Honda Pilots years 2003 to 2005. These look to be 4 wheels down towable, however the towing list says on 4wd vehicles. Some Pilots say AWD is this the same?

Tony

I have towed several Trackers (Geo, Chevy, etc.) and they all were great. I have only towed 4wd manual transmissions but a friend has towed a 4wd Automatic.They also go about anywhere in 4wd you ever want to go. Amazingly, More rear legroom than the Jeep Wrangler!