Sign in to follow this  
tbussche

Lorrie Morgan Concert Cancelled

On Wednesday night the Lorrie Morgan concert was cancelled without explaining why to the membership. Instead, the newly elected president of FMCA made some comments about people being able to sit outside of their motorhomes and talk with other people. I don't know where he camps, but this is something we do every place we camp.

I am sure that everyone would have preferred to have the concert on schedule. As I recall, Wednesday night it rained and the concert was scheduled for an outdoor venue. Perhaps my memory fails me, but I know there was still rain on Thursday morning, which triggered the move of the general meeting to the indoor venue. Even if it wasn't raining during all of the scheduled concert time or not at all, the threat of rain or storms during the concert may have caused cancellation. Cancellations of events such as this one often have to be made hours in advance. All of the electronic equipment has to be set up for the concert and/or taken down before it is damaged by rain.

Perhaps we'll get some answers from someone on the FMCA Staff. Remember, all of our officers are volunteers; they aren't getting paid for their endless hours of work on our behalf. Personally I am thankful we have people who are willing to take the jobs they do. The newly elected president didn't take office until Thursday morning, so I presume someone else made the decision on Wednesday.

FMCA staff monitored three weather radars (Accuweather, NOAA, and The Weather Channel), as well as checked the weather forecasts on Wednesday prior to reluctantly making a decision to cancel the show. Lorrie Morgan's band required a three-hour window in order to set up their equipment. They did unload sound equipment and placed it in the middle of the stage. With the band having a digital soundboard valued at $100,000, and watching the radar and viewing the forecasts stating that there was a chance of thunderstorms at 8 p.m., the decision was made to cancel the show.

We were not able to move the show indoors to Anderson Arena due to staging, speakers, and overall set-up requirements needing to take place.

FMCA did not want a situation to occur that could have jeopardized the safety of the members attending the show. If anyone attended the convention in Chalotte in 2006, you will understand about the concern for safety of our members.

Lorrie Morgan was disappointed that she was unable to perform for the members. We were disappointed that we had to cancel the show. But, we also wanted to maintain a safe environment for all in attendance.

Jerry Yeatts

Director, Conventions

Thanks, Jerry, for the information. We appreciate the detailed information about the decision. I thought about it later and I would bet that the comment by the incoming president was not meant as any kind of suggestion that the concert was canceled so the officers could sit around and visit. Those who are in leadership positions come to these conventions and work pretty much all the time, going from one venue to another to meet with various groups. I understand the Governing Board meeting on Monday went for over 12 hours. I believe his comment was an expression of joy at being able to have time to visit, which is so unusual for the organizational leaders. People who reach the top echelons of leadership do so after years of dedication to the work of the organization and likely haven't had much of a chance to relax and visit with people during conventions.

I thought the convention was very well planned and run. Louise and I had a wonderful time and if you followed my BLOG, we did our best to keep the vendors happy as well. Thanks again for the information and all the hard work you do for us.