Sign in to follow this  
fighterpilot

Last Cummins C8.3 Versus First Cummins ISC8.3

1997 Monaco Dynasty with the C8.3 300 versus a 1998 Monaco Dynasty with the ISC 8.3, 330, both 38 feet and otherwise comparable. I accept the HP difference.
Is there enough difference otherwise in the engines, in terms of reliability and maintainability to warrant choosing one over the other? My
preference leans towards the old 12 valve mechanical 8.3 rather than taking on the early ISC 8.3s.
But maybe it isn't that big a deal. Now considering a 1998 which is available but should I pass for the older 8.3.. and keep looking.
Thanks

You might want to go to iRV2.com and join the Class A forum or the Monaco forum. I am a member of the Newmar and Class A forums and you will get instant feedback. You can also do a search on your subject matter and most likely, the answer is already out there. It is also free to join.

Regarding the C 8.3 and ISC 8.3 engines:

The C series uses a Bosch injector pump, this is a mechanical pump.

The ISC 8.3 uses a computer controlled CAPS injector pump and the C 8.3 uses a mechanical pump.

This is the biggest difference in the 97 and 98 year engines. 1998 is the first year the CAPS injector system was used. The other change was from the 12 valve heads to the 24 valve set up. Things are never perfect, but the 24 valve set up was a good improvement from my perspective.

I have a friend that has a 12 valve setup and is very happy with it for its simplicity.

One can contact Blue Chip Diesel to get some good information regarding injector pump at.

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/products.html

They are one of the premier re-manufactures of injector pumps and specialize in the Bosch series pumps. They offer wide range of prices depending on what one wants to spend, and the warranty you feel comfortable with.

A phone call to them could answer questions you might have on the different injector systems an pumps.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

My coach came with a 5.9 mechanical Cummins. I modified it for more performance however it didn't work with the existing radiator, cac, transmission. I change engines to a 98 ISB electronic Cummins with a 6 speed, larger radiator, cac and it runs good. I have put 120,000 miles on it. When you change filters the electric pumps will prime the system.

Had a 98 Dynasty with an 8.3. Both engines are good according to my mechanic, just keep the oil clean and watch you temperature. Change the oil if you overheat. The only bad thing about the Dynasty was the rough ride with the small (8) air bags, old technology that Monaco held onto way to long in my opinion. The freightliner chassis with four air bags and 60 degree turning is a dream come true compared to the turning radius on the Dynasty.

Just sayin.