Sign in to follow this  
glidercoach

Chaco Canyon, NM

Question

We are planning a trip to Chaco Canyon, NM. From my research it looks like camping options for motor homes at the park are limited, and staying north (Bloomfield, etc.) is the best option.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Chaco Canyon? I would be interested in your thoughts on:

--'Be sure to see'

--Campground recommendations in the area

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Eric

5 answers to this question

The drive into Chaco Canyon from Hwy 550 is a long dirt washboard road which will shake your teeth out. We took our older gas coach into the canyon a few years ago, never again. Find somewhere outside the canyon to leave your coach and take the toad in.

Agree with prior post. Chaco Canyon is a really neat experience and I'm glad I went there, but no way I would take my motorhome there. It is like 20 miles off the highway and only the first few miles are paved. But...enjoy!

Have been to Chaco many times but not recently. Great place to go, well worth the effort.

I've tent camped a dozen times or so and took a towable in one time. Would not take my MH in at all.The road in is bad. You cannot find a speed that will allow you to manage the washboard. During rainy season, late summer, I think, road is slicker than any ice you have seen. One wet crossing is 3-4' deep after heavy rain.

Bloomfield parks are not good. Would Farmington or Aztec be better? I have no experience. There are decent motels in Bloomfield. Best place to park MH in area, in my opinion, is 40 mins east of Bloomfield at Abe's Motel and Fly Shop, below Navaho Dam. Not beautiful but cheap and safe and world's greatest flyfishing for trout.

Another alternative is stay in Grants and come to Chaco from the south. It is slightly farther than from Bloomfield but RV parks may offer better options. Again I have no experience staying in Grants.

Let me know if I can help.

Good luck, work it out, it;'s a great place.

I unexpectedly got to go to Chaco last week. Was great.If you have questions let me know. The last 15 miles of washboard, top speed 15 MPH in SUV for no damage. Talked to an employee who talked about lost mufflers/broken axles/etc.