Sign in to follow this  
nealday

Oven Won't Heat Up

I have a Magic Chef oven stove and oven.

The last time we went to use the oven it would not get hot. Put a temperature gauge in it and turned it all the way to 450.

45 min. later it was still at 250. has any one had this problem before. I think it could be the thermostat, but thought I would check before spending 180 dollars for a new one.

Thanks.

Hi Neal!

Welcome to FMCA.

One could check and see if the Temperature Sensor is properly located at the back of the oven flue box. This in under the main top cover, that part covers the burners and holds the burner grates in place.

Also check to see if the Oven Shutoff valve is open all the way.

If you do not have the information for your stove, this is a link to an maintenance manual that should be close to what you unit looks like.

Some of the stoves had a oven thermostat that could be adjusted for the proper temperature. This would require a oven thermometer to read and set the proper range of the control.

http://www.silveravion.com/downloads/maintenance/manuals/range_oven/magicchef_165_265_185_285.pdf

Hope this helps.

Rich.

Thanks. I already checked the temperature sensor it is in the bracket and clean just like it should be.

I will look for the shutoff valve and check if the thermostat is adjustable.

Thank again.

Neal Day,

Welcome to the Forum.

You said that you had a combo stove/oven. How does the stoves burners work. Is there enough flame to cook with? If there is then you may have a thermostat that isn't functioning properly. If the burners are not up to par you may have a restriction in your gas line.

Just my thoughts.

Herman

We had a similar problem. My wife fixed it by hooking a short bungee cord from the oven door handle to a burner. I love cookies and could not stand to look at it so I found replacement hinges at Campers world. Oven works. I wasn't embarrassed trouble shooting it, and I get my cookies.