Sign in to follow this  
Pat60

Aggravated w/Garmin Nuvi 465

Very pleased with my Garmin dezel 760lmt. The Rand McNally 7710 had great Software but screen quality was horrible (they sell a Sun Visor for it. that should have been my first clue). No GPS is perfect but I recently took a 5, 000 mile trip many places I had never been before. the navigator made the trip less stressful. Wouldn't travel without it. The dezel is designed for truckers but serves the purpose for RVs just fine.

My wife said she was happy with the Garmin 1490T on the different types of trips we took since 2010. I said ''was'' because we now have the box with all the accessories in my office minus the unit. Sign of the times? Since we are looking for a new unit I am following the comments also!

I have 4 Garmins, don't ask. I just updated one with its lifetime maps. It took an hour on the phone with a very nice young lady. (young because anyone still working is young to me). When we got it to where the maps began to download it took 2 hours.

That being said GPS units are computers and as the old saying goes "Garbage in Garbage out". I only us mine as a referance and not to take me where I do not know the Hwy's and roads. If I am going to some place I do like a lot have done here. ASK about the route you plan to take. I just got a satalite look at a road we will take out of Denver to a special camp for our Special Grandson. I counted nine (9) hairpen curves in the route both up and down. But youknow something, to be able to spend the week with our grandson the road doesn't matter.

All GPS unit have their good points and bad points, so buy one of each and between them all you might get good routes. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes::lol:

Herman

I also have the new Garmin Dezl 760 LMT. I like the additional info it displays in the RV mode like the grade of the road in %, warning of curves ahead, bridge heights, high wind areas the easy to view 7" screen, Bluetooth so links to cell phone,etc.

I use DeLorme Topo North America software on a laptop. As with any GPS, it can have its quirks in route planning but I can review the route it selects and edit it literally down to feet. It's not perfect but I have used DeLorme products for at least 12 years (before other GPS products were available). They have other GPS software available with more amenities that RVers might prefer but I prefer Topo because it shows topographic features like elevations which gives me info on the elevations and hills I might encounter. Besides that I have a 13 inch screen that I can adjust for brightness to suit. A bigger laptop would give a bigger screen but the 13 inch fits my dash location very nicely.

I'm on Garmin #4, my biggest complaint is that there is either no manual or it's inside the GPS. I like to have something in my lap to which I can refer when trying to work with something like a GPS.

Thank you all for your comments...this is my first Garmin and I bought it because it had the truck mode. We have had several other brands before this Garmin.

My complaint was not with the routing as they do make errors and you cannot totally rely on them for routing. My complaint is the performance...sometimes it has no idea where we are and takes forever to figure out a route. It recalculates needlessly, etc.

I am not impressed with the quality of the electronic and that's my big beef.

And, yes, they all need a sun hat as you can't see the screen in daylight which is a huge PITA...

Pat

I have been using the Nuvi 465LMT since February 2012 in both the RV and the Auto. I enjoy the map updates and traffic. The 465 has worked well for me.

I previously used the Nuvi 680 since 2006, which worked fine except the cost of map updates. Never updated the maps, worked ok, but getting old, like someone else I know.

Recently compared the Desl 560LMT and the Desl 760LMT. Decided on the Desl 560. First use has been with the auto for familiarization. Next week it will get it's first use in the MH.

I like the features on the 560. The split screen sign feature is nice, along with other warning notices. Just planned a 1k mile trip using streets & trips as a guide of the routes I was interested in taking, with many stops between start and finish without any issues.

Paired Bluetooth without any issues, and the 560 has a voice dialing option, which worked the first time.

Garmin needs to send ole Jill to English language classes. Voice commands are better than the 680, and some improvement over even the 465. The volume and brightness adjustments are more than adequate. The speaker sound is a lot better.

See how it goes in the long haul. Been using Garmin for years in boats, autos, and RV's. Another nice function on the 560 is traffic avoidance options, which can be rerouted using miles or a different route. The 465 has the auto traffic avoidance which rerouted us on one occasion around an interstate traffic tie up on a different route which worked great. Now with the 560, I can choose how far and/or the route to avoid the traffic.

MH toys sure are fun. Gps takes stress free traveling to a new level. Trust with Verification is the only caveat!