Sign in to follow this  
cpenn

Surge Protection

Wanted recommendations for either a surge protector or a meter I could plug in the campground outlet to check the power.

I am going on a long trip this year and will be staying in numerous campgrounds.

I have Surge Guard 50 amp that works for me. It will shut down for over or under voltage and won't turn on if there is a problem with the wiring at the campground.

DD Mentioned the Surge Guard, and there are other systems one can look into that might work as well.

Regarding meters. I always have one to use, a must have in my travel kit. Look around Lowe's, or other hardware suppliers and find one you feel comfortable with.

To be honest I have 2 that I carry. One works vary well for measuring high current and one that's a little smaller for use on most everything else.

Rich.

Check out the surge guard and EMS units made by Progressive Industries. After much research comparing Progressive Industries to the Surge Guard brand, I chose Progressive Industries. Made in the USA, lifetime warranty. Very happy with my decision, very solid well made unit EMS-PT50C.

Ken

I have used both, Surge Guard and Progressive Industires and highly recommend Prograssive Industries. They offer more protection for surge and have a relaible unit. As a fulltimer, we plug into many different sources. Besides the Progressive Industries Surge Guard we also protect ourselves from low voltage with a Hughes Autotransformer. This boost voltage when we experience voltage around 110-112 volts. Many campgrounds during the summer months will have voltage issues so it is possible the surge guard, either company, will cut off when voltage drops below 110 votls. This will surely ave your air conditioning units.

Check out the surge guard and EMS units made by Progressive Industries. After much research comparing Progressive Industries to the Surge Guard brand, I chose Progressive Industries. Made in the USA, lifetime warranty. Very happy with my decision, very solid well made unit EMS-PT50C.

Ken

I am about to order the same unit, but still wonder if I should have one hardwired. Do you ever wish you didn't have to deal with the portable unit?

Thanks,

Mike

I have the portable PT50C and I have never found it to be a problem in that I leave the coach cord plugged into it all the time. I just pull the PT50C out of the electrical bay and plug it in to the pedestal. For peace of mind security I have a short piece of chain that goes around the pedestal and I lock it with a padlock. It will only keep the honest people honest, but in 4 years it has worked fine.

I like the portability. I originally purchased it when I had a 5th wheel, and when we changed to the motor home it came with us and was no problem in switching since it is so portable.

In any case, the Progressive Industries hardwire or portable is one of the better investments I have made. It has saved me about 5 times in the past years when there were faults on the circuit. It will not switch on if there is a fault, and there is a delay of over 200 seconds before it will switch back on if a fault is detected and cleared, like a surge.

Happy trails.

Thanks, Wayne. With my coach being brand new I better not need to worry about transferring it for a while, but it is a good thought...you just never know. I am going to order it today. I'll tell my wife it is her Mother's Day present. ;)

Mike

I have a Progressive Industries surge protector. Decision was base on the comparison chart that is online at rvupgradestore.com/articles....It just appeared to me that the Progressive provided more protection and it is very user friendly...Good luck with the protectors...they do a very important job.

Paul