Sign in to follow this  
MarYJac04

Manuverability as a Function of Wheelbase

I am comparing an Allegro 34TGA and a Winnebago Sightseer 33C.

The overall length of the 33C is 34'6" and 34TGA is 34'10" while the wheelbase is 220" for the 33C and 242" for the 34TGA, giving a 53% Wheel-base to Length ratio for the 33C and 58% for the 34TGA. I have read that only ratios of 54% or greater are considered safe for highway travel, so on paper the advantage is for the 34TGA.

My question relates to manuverability. Since the overall lengths are nearly the same while the wheel-base difference is 22", I am wondering about the effect on manuverability in close quarters.

In addition to my question I would like to hear any comments relating to either coaches.

In addition to wheelbase, you need to know the front wheel cut angle to get a realistic answer.

Of course, if both are on the same chassis, the shorter wheelbase coach will turn in a shorter radius, while the longer wheelbase coach will handle better, particularly in strong crosswinds.

So, how much time do you spend maneuvering in tight CG's vs driving the open roads-- that is really the trade-off.

One of them would need to have a much sharper turning radius for you to ever tell the difference between them. Personally, I would not base a preference of these coaches on this factor.

Marv

On all vehicles, remember the over hang. Some shorter wheel based vehicles have a long over hang that can swing really wide when making

sharp turns. :o

Watch the rear as well as the front when turning.

Herman

One of them would need to have a much sharper turning radius for you to ever tell the difference between them. Personally, I would not base a preference of these coaches on this factor.

Marv

Same here...don't over think the issue.

I would be more concerned with learning how to drive it and just go. You can now worry about if one is 12’ 4” and one is 12’ 8” high and how much higher they will be as the tanks empty versus full.

Bill

tn_gallery_27828_334_489503.jpgMine is on a 242" wheelbase but is 36' 10" long. That rear tail swing is definitely something to keep in mind. Unfortunately a mechanic at a local Ford dealer didn't realize that and hit a concrete lamp standard on their lot....roughly $5,000 in damages that they, of course are paying for. :(

Trying to maneuver through border crossings with all the blockades they have to prevent anyone blasting through is quite an ordeal...almost took out the US Border Agent's booth 2 weeks ago...with him in it..... :wacko: