camperken

Progressive Industies EMS-PT50C Surge Protector -- Owners, Please Comment

After considering both the portable and the hard wired surge protector units from Progressive Industries, I've decided on getting the EMS-PT50C portable unit. I'd like to hear from owners of the portable unit. Any downside to using it? Do you feel it's secure by locking it to the power pedestal? I'm thinking perhaps of cutting the shore cord inside the bay near the transfer switch, putting male nad female plugs the cord, then plugging in the EMS unit in the bay. I could then bypass the unit if it ever failed and had to be sent back for repair. I appreciate all thoughts and opinions.

After considering both the portable and the hard wired surge protector units from Progressive Industries, I've decided on getting the EMS-PT50C portable unit.

I'd like to hear from owners of the portable unit. Any downside to using it? Do you feel it's secure by locking it to the power pedestal?

I'm thinking perhaps of cutting the shore cord inside the bay near the transfer switch, putting male & female plugs the cord, then plugging in the EMS unit in the bay. I could then bypass the unit if it ever

failed and had to be sent back for repair.

I appreciate all thoughts and opinions.

Thats the way I installed my inverter/charger, because I have had a failure and I could just unplug it and plug my controlled outlets.

I went through three Surge Guards in 13 months. After the last one died, I got a PI 50 amp unit. That was 3 years ago. The PI has saved our bacon several times and still works perfectly. I do have the hard wired variety.

The EMS-PT50C is a stellar performer and the comapny, Progressive Industries, is a stand-up company that backs their product with a warranty that is unsurpassed. They are quick to respond to any problem - at least that has been my relationship.

I also prefer the portable PT50C. I did purchase, or had, a tow chain about 2-1/2 to 3 feet in length that I wrap around the pedistal or any other object and secure it with padlocks. It keeps the honest RV'ers out (99.9%) and protects to some degree the "drive-through" passerbys. The nice feature is that you can take it with you when you transfer to a different RV.

The PT50C has protected me several times in the last few years with anomalies at different campgrounds. I never leave home in the RV without it.

The EMS-PT50C is a stellar performer and the comapny, Progressive Industries, is a stand-up company that backs their product with a warranty that is unsurpassed. They are quick to respond to any problem - at least that has been my relationship.

I also prefer the portable PT50C. I did purchase, or had, a tow chain about 2-1/2 to 3 feet in length that I wrap around the pedistal or any other object and secure it with padlocks. It keeps the honest RV'ers out (99.9%) and protects to some degree the "drive-through" passerbys. The nice feature is that you can take it with you when you transfer to a different RV.

The PT50C has protected me several times in the last few years with anomalies at different campgrounds. I never leave home in the RV without it.

I have used the EMS-PT5oC for more than 6 years with no problems. This unit has saved $$$$'s on at least 4 occasions. I believe that it covers more errors than the Surge Guard.

In our coach, we chose the hard wired model 50AMP model from Progressive. I wired a receptive plug and the end to plug in with the unit. Now, on the coach side where to power comes in, I installed a receptacle so I could plug in the Progessive unit. I also have a Hughes Autoformer next to my Progessive unit in the bay. The power first goes into the autoformer and then the autoformer plugs into the other end of the Progessive unit. With this arrangement, I can always unplug either theautoformer or the Progessive unit in case of a failure. Yes, this required more work but the rewards are worth it. When I arrive at a campground, I unreal my power cord, plug in, and forget it. Everything is neatly in the cabinet below the coach and monitoring all power coming into the coach.

We use the Progressive portable unit, it has saved us a couple times and has needed repair a few times but I wouldn't be without one, the electronics in RV's is way too expensive not too use one.

I have never locked mine to the pedestal.

I opted for the hard wired PI unit after much debate. I like the idea of one less thing to hook up at the campground and IF I need to remove it and return the wiring back to original, it is a 30 minute job. I think there is a case to be made for both units....... so it's whatever works for you. I don't think you can go wrong either way.