I am looking at a new tow bar and was considering s Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Does anyone have any comment on this tow bar as far as ease of use or any other comments?

I am also looking at the Roadmaster Falcon 2 and the Blue Ox Avental. DOes anyone have any comments on which of the three they would buy and why

I have used Blue Ox towbars for more than 10 years with good results. I chose the Blue Ox because of the clean installation, when towing and when disconnected. The Blue Ox baseplate provides complete structural integrity behind the bumper, so only the tow tabs show from the front when towing and can be easily removed when disconnected. Virtually no tow hardware showing at all. take a look at the installations on towingworld.com.

The Roadmaster baseplate is simpler and a little lighter but doesn't provide resistance to spreading forces and requires an additional spreader bar on the front of the TOAD to provide that strength. Makes a more complex configuration on the front. it can also be removed but much more complicated.

Roadmaster seems to be more widely available in some parts of the country (We're in Pacific Northwest). I think this is because installers like the simpler installation and don't worry much about what it looks like in use.

We have had a Blue Ox Aventia for a number of years. Simple, sturdy, neat base plate installation and our coach can't seem to shake the toad off our tail.

Most important question to ask, "Would you buy another one?" DEFINITELY!

Just had Blue Ox base plates installed about a month ago,,,,,bought the Aventa LX from ppl on sale.

Can't see the base plate on the Liberty unless you are looking for it....clean install,,,,bypass lighting,,,,does not splice into toad wiring.

The Aventa stays on the back of the MH,,,,,just did a test tow recently before taking off for the summer,,,,only way I knew it was there was the camera.

The Reason I went with Blue OX,,,,is reputation for customer service,,,,,which was the most important for me.....The research I do,,,is always based first on customer service,,,,i.e. Blue Ox, and Tiffin.

Just mho.

All the Brands work and work well. I use Blue Ox. It works as advertised and I would make the same purchase again. I've given the toad tasks to my 13 year old grandson. He has no problem with the Blue Ox tasks. Nobody needs to worry, I double check his work before we leave.

Consider the most important item to be how you interact with the towing hookup. What are the tasks that need to be done to connect and disconnect the toad? Have the tasks demonstrated by the sales person. You do the tasks. Which Brand is best for you depends on how well you like the tasks involved.

Guest Wayne77590

Lots of people have been towing with many different products and all seem to work well.

Don't forget Demco who have tow bars and base plates. I use one for the 2007 Saturn and it is a breeze to set up. Base plate is fairly inconspicuous.

We have used Roadmaster tow bars for 10 years. We started with the Falcon 2 which held up quite well. We never had a problem like the Blue Ox people have with broken fingers on the bar. We have now moved up to the Falcon 2 All-Terrain which works great because it allows you to hitch and unhitch when the two rigs are twisted. Great improvement! I have not used the Sterling but have seen and talked to those that have it. It is really light! - but strong. It costs quite a bit more but if you have weak arms or arthritis then it might be worth it.

I have used a Blue Ox Avanta for Several years and had to replace it recently. The Tow bar wore out (lots of loosness). I didn't realize it was that bad until the Baseplate broke loose. I didn't lost the car as I was lucky and found it in time. I still use the Blue OX because of the ease of hooking up and disconnecting but keep a much closer watch on the condition of the Towbar. JC

I have used a Blue Ox Avanta for Several years and had to replace it recently. The Tow bar wore out (lots of loosness). I didn't realize it was that bad until the Baseplate broke loose. I didn't lose the car . I was lucky and found it in time. I still use the Blue OX because of the ease of hooking up and disconnecting but keep a much closer watch on the condition of the Towbar. JC

That is one of the reasons I went with Blue Ox,,,,,,,at a rally where they have tech's they will restore the tow bar if possible,,,,

They use to do it as a customer service,,,,now I understand they charge $10,,,still a great deal.

Also,,,according to my instruction manual,,,it does require minimal maintenance once a year.

Glad all worked out and you didn't lose the car.

I use a falcon 2 and I'm pretty happy with it. I will be upgrading to a Sterling as they are lighter and are easier to use if you have a binding situation. When my set-up is removed you can't tell that the truck is used as a toad. Also if you're at a Rally where Roadmaster is going to be present they'll referbish your towbar for free. If you want to upgrade they'll have a deal at the Rally for the Sterling. That's what I'll be doing

We have a new Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar on our 09 Honda Fit.

We've used it twice so far and find it very easy to hook up and disconnect.

I don't like the hardware left out on the front of the car, so I remove that too, and

it is very easy to do so, storing the pieces in a large plastic storage bin that has a foam liner,

with cut outs for each of the pieces. This keeps things clean and organized.

We looked at the Blue Ox and Roadmaster tow bars at RV shows and the only reason we

went with the Roadmaster was because Camping World offered it online for $606, vs the regular $1000+

price. When I began my online research in October, neither Blue Ox or Roadmaster had brackets

available for the 09 Fit and I had to wait several months before the brackets were available.

Having used a dolly for that last 3 years, I am looking forward to our upcoming 6 week

trip with the tow bar and our Fit.

When the tow brackets are off the car, all you can see is the electrical connection for

the tail lights. So far we think it is great.

:rolleyes: For 25 years I have used Roadmaster tow bars. I now have the Falcon 2 and I love it. Roadmaster is always there to help when you need them.

I used the Roadmaster (5000 lb. tow rating) on my Jeep Cherokee and it worked just fine, easy to hook up. When I bought a Jeep Commander, I had to get a new tow package due to the weight of the Commander. I bought the Blue Ox Avanta (10,000 lb. rating) and I like it even better than the Roadmaster.

We have had a Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar to tow our 2002 Trailblazer since we bought it in 2002. We are full time so the tow bar gets a regular work-out. I have weighed the Trailblazer in tow behind our motor home and it is just barely within the specified capacity of the Sterling. In 2007 the bar finally broke. During the time used it, we towed approximately 70,000 miles. I called Roadmaster and they told me to ship it to them and gave instructions. About a week later they called to tell me that they were unable to repair my bar. They said they had a reconditioned one at about half the price of a new one. They shipped it to me and I had it in about 3 days. It has been working well for two years now. At every rally, Roadmaster comes around and inspects the tow bar, leaving a note to let us know what service they performed (usually just lubrication). I had one piece of the mounting hardware (holds the crossbar) crack and it was repaired while we were at the Convention in St. Paul. It is holding just fine.

The Sterling is easy to use. I consider it an excellent product with a good company to back it up.

Blue Ox, I have two of them. Bought one about three years ago and then when I bought another motorhome ,CountryCoach it came with the Blue Ox. One is for sale. You can have eather one of them $325.00

Bill 619- 823-1854

I used a Roadmaster Falcon 2 on a Saturn and Jeep, both worked fine.

DougC

I am looking at a new tow bar and was considering s Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Does anyone have any comment on this tow bar as far as ease of use or any other comments?

I am also looking at the Roadmaster Falcon 2 and the Blue Ox Avental. DOes anyone have any comments on which of the three they would buy and why

Let me take a minute and perhaps summarize the responses here.

As on many (OK MOST) "opinion" questions, people recommend what they use and are happy with-- its only natural.

From responses here and on other sites, virtually all appear happy with their tow bar/base plate choices. Said another way, no bad apples out there.

Since a large part of choosing base plates/tow bars is the quality of installation, working with someone in your area who you trust to do the installation is an important decision-making criteria. THEIR advice is as important to you as whether WE are happy with our choice.

BTW, we use the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain and are very pleased with it and the company behind it. 100,000 plus miles towing with this coach.

Brett Wolfe