HerbK

Motor Home Flooring

I'm thinking of replacing the carpeting in my 2004 motor home with a product called Kardean Design Flooring. It is designed to be loose layed but I'm concerned about the effect the slide out rollers will have on it.

Has anyone ever installed this material in their own rigs?

When you go back with hard surface, it will be less in height then your carpet and pad. just keep it clean before you bring the slide in.

I would like to replace the carpeting in my Rexhall Roseaire with a laminate flooring. Any suggestions as to an installer in the Santa Maria, California area? Is it a difficult operation? It has two slides.

We, too, are considering some remodeling on/in our motorhome. We have a 2001 Dutchstar and have lived in it since we purchased it. Lots of traveling with dogs, grandkids, etc.! Our carpet is our #1 thing to do. Has anyone tried the linoleum vinyl that looks like wood? Or, should we stick with a laminate? Thanks! Any and all suggestions will be welcome!

I had it in a stick built home once. It really looked nice; very realistic. The brand I had was Armstrong but that was about 15 years ago. Don't know if it would interest you, but I have seen ceramic tiles that looked like wood. I saw them in a home in a parade of homes a few years back. I would guess they would be a lot more expensive, but they would probably last a LOT longer and less likely to show scratches from normal use.

Hope this is helpful.

We used a product called Villa Stone which is a resin and marble dust product. It is semi-flexible and is laid with outdoor carpet mastic and used with a flexible resin and sand grout. Thinner than ceramic and 1/3 the weight or about the same as your carpet and pad. We will never go back to carpet.

I replaced my carpet and vinyl flooring with solid cork tiles, approx 1/8 inch thick and 12 inches square. We are very pleased with the flooring. It is light weight, flexible, water proof, insect resistant, a very good insulator, and slightly gives underfoot. I felt all these were very desireable qualities for RV flooring. We have had it down about nine months are still delighted with our choice.

We do not have pets, so would have had to have done more research on how the cork would hold up to claws.

Sam

We used a product called Villa Stone which is a resin and marble dust product. It is semi-flexible and is laid with outdoor carpet mastic and used with a flexible resin and sand grout. Thinner than ceramic and 1/3 the weight or about the same as your carpet and pad. We will never go back to carpet.

mrboyer, Can you post a picture of the completed job? I too, am looking for a replacement for our carpet. I replaced the carpet in our last m/h about 9 years ago with a laminate type flooring and the slide did not mark the floor at all. The bottom of this slide was a curved piece of plastic, one on each end of the slide. My new m/h has a full wall slide and it has a continous curved metal piece, not rollers and not sure if it will mark the floor or not but the carpet is comming out. Thanks, texasyankee

I replaced our carpet with Polyflor vinyl planking (similar to Kardean but less expensive). I used a feature strip in between the vinyl to look like ships planking. Worked out well and is extremely hard wearing.

Have a look on our flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95137559@N04/sets/72157635428254625/

I've also got our 1947 Flxible Clipper restoration pictures on there!!

We are in AZ, and I do not have my camera with me; therefore, no, I can not post a picture. But it looks just like 16 inch square marble/ceramic tiles with 3/16 inch gray sand grout. The rows of tiles run across the coach and each row is offset from the previous by half a tile. Doing so eliminates the grout lines having to be perfect for the whole length of the coach. I do want to say this tile is just as hard to lay as ceramic tile, but the results look very good.

Last month I replaced the carpet in my 2005 Country Coach Inspire with engineered hardwood. The job turned out great. I don't have any scraping when the slides are moved in & out. This was a two day project, not including the trim out pieces.

RJ 2005 Inspire #51264