Sign in to follow this  
bobbyks

Coach Will Not Start

I own a 2008 Thor Mandalay, 425 ISL Cummins with a Magnum ME 2012 inverter/charger.

Never had a problem starting the motor until this AM. I pull it out of storage about every two weeks and run. This morning I went to start the motor it would turn over but not enough to fire off, indicator showed low battery.

I put a strong charge on the battery to about 13.5 tried to start could not get a contact, it was like the batteries were disconnected, all cables were tight, no corrosion on post, I checked relays and fuses related to starting. It is like there is a lock out somewhere.

The last time I pull the coach out one BR slide would only come in half way and stop and start the wall locking mechanism (like it was fully retracted) I finally was able to retract the slide to full and locked in place.

I am not sure if this slide has not cleared safety switch and keeping the motor from engaging.

I do not have drawings on the slide switches to see if I could override and have no idea where to look.

Bob,

After charging the batteries, let them set for an hr or two and read the voltage. If it has dropped below 12 volts check the water levels and try to recharge them again. Let them set for a time and see what they read. If the voltage is better try to start the engine again.

Think I should have asked if the batteries did charge up.

Some times there are relays and the like on the slide out control boards, one needs to remove the power or pull the fuse on the boards to let the circuits reset.

Rich.

Rich, after I charged them to 13.5 volt I took another set of readings and they had dropped about 12.5, the batteries are orginal coach batteries 2008 model and are sealed, I failed to mention when I turn on the ignition key all controls on the panel are at norn, there is no indication of start contact, it seems I should get at least a small turn of the engine at about 12 volts of battery power, you think shutting off all power on the coach for a while may reset any relay which may have dropped out?

Rich, after I charged them to 13.5 volt I took another set of readings and they had dropped about 12.5, the batteries are orginal coach batteries 2008 model and are sealed, I failed to mention when I turn on the ignition key all controls on the panel are at norn, there is no indication of start contact, it seems I should get at least a small turn of the engine at about 12 volts of battery power, you think shutting off all power on the coach for a while may reset any relay which may have dropped out?

Bob, I would try to remove the power to the slide circuits, Turn off the coach and chassis power via the disconnect switches and just let it set for a time. then turn on the chassis and coach power. OH, disconnect the shore power feed also!

Hope if there is a problem with the slide control that will reset things, you might need to cycle the slide out a little then retract it to get the start interlock to completely reset, hope that is the issue.

The engine did try to turn over before the slide(s) where exercised.

Rich.

I found the problem with the coach no starting. Starter locked up probably due to low battery voltage.

Should have changed batteries out, 5 years old.

Glad you solved your problem. For others reading this, my coach has an engine emergency stop push button in the engine compartment. Always check to see if yours does. I also have a switch which connects the house batteries to the chassis battery for starting assistance.

In your case, it probably is time for replacements.