rvretire@gmail.com

Motorhome Class A Extended Warranty

Purchased our 36' Damon Daybreak brand new in 2010, gas, V-10. Purchased Ford Motor Company warranty -Easy Care - at the time of purchase through the dealer. I think it added $1700 to the sale price. Good for 55k miles or 7 years, whichever occurs first. Glad I did. No major failures, but small stuff that has added up and I have now gotten my $1700 back for assorted repairs over the past three years. I have a $50 co-pay, per visit.

I have been very happy with Easy Care and pretty much a "no questions" asked when it came to getting work done. So, I can only speak to my satisfaction with Easy Care. I've heard Good Sam Warranty is very good, but I don't know. I would look into both and see what makes sense to you.

Rob

I have read discussions on several companies. ACC Warranty, Wholesale Warranty, Good Sam Warranty to name three. These discussions, if my memory serves me, were on the Escapees Forums and the iRV2 Forums. I do not remember seeing this discussion in this forum.

We purchased an extended warranty from Freedom Care which is now Camping World. When purchased our motor home had 3,000 miles on it. We have had enough claims to more than paid for the purchase price. We will run out in about 2,000 miles at 72,000. My only difficulty is that they always argue with me about payment. Be persistent and your extended warranty will pay for themselves.

Do not use the ACC extended warranty. On our first trip our generator would not start on our used motorhome. Although it was listed in the covered items they made several excuses not to cover. Personnel were very rude to deal with and they cancelled our policy in the middle of our trip!

Ditto on ACC they refused to cover us on repairs that were to be covered also and cancelled our policy that we had paid in full. They were to refund our money and now 6 months later still have not received the money.

Well I was kind of wondering the same question. ACC has had both good and bad reviews, the thing that caused me concern on ACC was that they will allow you to receive a quote and purchase their product on line. But, if you want to read or view their warranty coverage in detail you have to request it via snail mail and enclose a self addressed stamped envelope to have one mailed to you.

You would think that a company who sells on the internet would make this information available via the internet.

I also looked into Good Sam for an extended warranty, but they seem to be the highest price out there. Which wasn't a total surprise as when they send out offers for auto or home insurance their quotes have always been some of the highest I have received.

Does FMCA not have a partnership or recommendation for a Extended Warranty Product?

I had also thought about and done a little research on Wholesale Warranties. Along this process I came across a site of complaints filed/posted dealing with customer dissatisfaction. These comments also included rebuttal post by Wholesale Warranties most of which stated that they were not in the business of managing or enforcement of the warranties sold, but in the business of selling extended warranties for varies companies.

I miss the days when things were simple, you knew who you were dealing with, small print didn't take up as much if not more space as the large print, and a man's word was his bond.

If you have any information to share on a warranty company whether it is positive or not so much so, please take the time to share with those of us who are floundering out here.

OMG The software changes every time I come back. At the top of this page is a search function which is now totally useless. If you enter Warranty and hit search you will get pages and pages of not useful information.

Go to the forum for purchasing a motorhome and enter warranty in the search box on that page and search "this forum." You will get a pretty good list of articles which have discussed extended warranties for motor homes. I'd post my thoughts and experiences but they are back in the files somewhere along with dozens of other opinions and experiences.

Change is continuous so you just have to keep experimenting until you find the key to the latest programmers mind! There are a huge numbers of posts from the earliest days of this forum (about 2009 I believe). Though they are dated, many of them are still applicable.

FYI, Extended Warranties are a racket. This is an area that is rife with fraud. They collect huge fees, refuse to pay off claims and then cut and run when the game is over. Their "profits" are in some off-shore investment and they are never heard from again.

Hi JojrJen

I have been going through the same process. Prior to picking up our motorhome from the dealer I thought I had this situation put to bed but now I am far from it. Just based upon what I had read in the forums I was completely sold on wholesale warranties. I found out this week that they no longer offer the star or xtraride policies at all. They sent me a quote for a new company and it goes against every guideline that has been written on the forums that you would want in a policy. The RV PRoCare policy excludes some very important items and does NOT allow fulltime RV use or doing any of your own maintenance. I have since been shopping around this week all over again, and there are some much better alternatives for about the same price.

Here are some of the things from the Wholesale Warranties Contract that concern me:

(excerpts from the policy they sent me this week)

A. MAINTENANCE AND RECORDS

To obtain the benefits provided by this Service Contract, You are required to provide maintenance to Covered Components at a Licensed Repair Facility proper documentation and verifiable receipts for all maintenance and repairs will be required in the event of a claim. Receipts must reflect Your name, proper RV documentation (i.e. year, make, and model), complete VIN/Serial number, and the current mileage of the RV. Handwritten receipts will not be accepted. Failure to provide proof of required maintenance may result in denial of coverage.

E. WHAT IS NOT COVERED

Any overheating, regardless of the cause of overheating

Any expenses that are associated with shop supplies, materials charges, hazardous waste charges, diagnosis time (isnt there always dianostic time billed)

Any RVs used as a permanent residence

The repair or replacement of any Covered Component that has been damaged by a non-Covered Component or from an improper repair and the repair or replacement of any non-Covered Component damaged as a result of the Failure of a Covered Component. -( I almost fell over when I read this one! I mean really!!)

Repairs or replacements made outside the contiguous United States ( No coverage in Canada)

I guess you do get what you pay for afterall!! <_< Will update if we decide to go the warrantee route in the end.

Thanks

Shaun

I have received a quote from Good Sam, which was very high from what I have heard. I did receive a quote from AAC also, it was priced much more reasonable.

However since AAC doesn't make reading their complete warranty near as easy to read on line as they do to purchase it causes me to have concerns of what don't they want me to know? Then there is the part where they now include tire coverage as a standard coverage and not an option. Well we all know you don't get anything for free, so the charge has simply been packed/included into the quote. However, the tire coverage when reviewed is not what I would call great coverage with all the exceptions and exclusions.

These plans are written by lawyers. When they stipulate that maintenance must be done on a specific schedule at a licensed repair facility and receipts must have specific information or claim may be denied, they are setting hurdles that you must clear each time you have a repair done. Miss any one of these hurdles and you have just voided your contract which gets them off the hook. Think about your break down somewhere on the road. You want it repaired at a nearby shop but they don't meet the requirements of the contract. You have to go miles an miles to get service and if the coach won't go, you may have to be towed.

You will also find that the hassles of dealing with the warranty company may cause repair shops to refuse to do a repair if that warranty company is involved. So you have to pay for the repair and hope the warranty company will reimburse you for your expense or you have to find another repair shop. Even companies who have a reputable name are difficult for repair people to deal with and will be boycotted by repair facilities.

We have used Good Sam Extended Warranty for years and are happy with it and have used it several times. A couple times we had to argue with them on payment but in the end they came through in most cases.

We are definitely way ahead of the game with this investment.

2004 Trek, 8.1 Work Horse

I have used Good Sam Extended Warranty on my last 3 Motorhomes.

In general I don't fight with them I let the dealership work things out.

Have not been disapointed yet. Take it to a good dealer and let them hash it out....

They speak the same language.

Good Sam may be on the high side of the curve but in the end it pays off. :)

We purchased a 2002 5th wheel from camping world last year and decided to get a extended warranty through Good Sams, within 6 months we had to replace a grey water tank, $1200 parts, labor and tank.. Our cost $355.00 glad we did it but don't include in your loan if you are financing pay it outright...ours was not cheap but well worth it

In the long run...