Sign in to follow this  
dcduncan118

Algae In Fuel

I've spent over two hours speaking with customer service reps from American Coach, Spartan and Cummins looking for what I presumed would be an easy answer - what additive to put in the fuel tank of my new 2012 Revolution with a 450 hp Cummins? The local Cummins store suggested a microbiocide (sp?) they carry for $156.65 a quart. Apparently a quart will treat 2500 gallons? The catch was he doesn't carry it and I'd have to buy four quarts. Surely there is a better answer for treating diesel fuel to prevent algae from growing? Would appreciate any thoughts.

Hi DCDuncan ! Welcome to FMCA !

There are a number of them.

Check with NAPA, Auto Zone, Advanced auto parts.

Just a few.

BioGuard-Diesel-Microbiocide-Additive-16oz/dp

Biobor JF - Diesel Fuel Microbicide by Star-Tron 16oz.

Power Service-Bio Kleen 16 oz. 5oz. to 100 gal.. 1oz.to 20 gal.

Rich.

Rich,

Can you put one of these in your tank as a preventive? I have also heard that you have to be very careful using these products. :o

See you in Gillette.

Herman

I add a Biocide anytime I will be storing diesel for more than 2 months in the summer or 3 months in the winter. Also, store with tank full to minimize condensation.

The only other time I would add a Biocide is if I see an algae problem (black stringy "gunk" in primary fuel filter bowl.

It is basically "weed killer" so it is not something I would get on my skin.

Brett

So do the manufacturers recommend any product or guidelines without spending $150.00 a quart for additive

P.S. How do you add your coach and toad info to your tag or blog name.

Thanks Lew

Lew,

Just do a google search on the products Rich mentioned. $15-20 should do it.

BTW, diesel boats have the same diesel storage issues, so check with any marine supply store-- they should have a Biocide in stock.

Many farmers with diesel equipment face the same issues. As a result, I've had good luck finding it at Tractor Supply stores around the country for a reasonable price.