Good morning, We are from Germany, new in FMCA, and have bought in Montana an RV to travel around the beautiful country of USA. However, we can always just 3-5 months stay in United States, then fly back to Germany for 3-5 months, then we come back to United States, and so on. Next time is 01 May till 30 August 2013. We have a 2009 Challenger Damon 377 and a 2006 Jeep Liberty. We have a U.S. driver's license. My question is: what insurance do we need for the RV and jeep? So for example: liability comprehensive, partially or full etc. etc. etc. There is much available, but certainly not all necessary. What experience do you have? Thanks. Walter

Walter,

Welcome to the FMCA and to the USA. Being a member of FMCA gives you the oppotunity to get a discount from GMAC Insurance. They are not the lowest but they have a policy that allows you to "Put your unit in storage." That means you will not pay for your liability & collisions when your are back in Germany and not driving the coach.

GMAC was our carrier in the past and we have nothing to say bad about them. They responded quickly when we needed them.

What do you need.

1) Liability: That protects the other people if you have and accident.

2) Collision & Comprehensive: This covers your unit and lender if you have one. Good to have but only required if there is a lien on the unit.

Good luck and have a nice visit.

Herman

GMAC will give you a very comprehensive quote. Be sure you get the RV Vacation insurance as well. This is the insurance that covers you if someone is visiting and gets hurt in your rig. In the US if we own a home our home owners insurance would supply this insurance. Since you are from Germany, you will need this extra liability insurance.

You should get at least 250K/500K comprehensive/collision coverage with at least 100K RV vacation liability coverage. The 250K/500K covers you when on the move, the 100K covers you when parked at an RV Park. In fact my full time coverage includes 250K/500K for my RV vacation coverage. There are several other coverages you should have, but the quote should include all this.

I have also heard good things about Blue Sky insurance. You might have a different situation because of your non-resident status.

Its liability insurance that's important.It Protects you against big lawsuits if your at fault. Have at least 1 million or more (I carry three). It is designed to cover 3rd party claims if you have a accident and your found at fault and if there is injury involved you will be sued etc. People in the US sue if their coffees too hot so be aware. Comprehensive is also important if you want to be insured if it catches fire or is stolen etc, Collision coverage covers your own vehicle damage if your at fault for the accident or it is no ones fault (EG) you fall asleep and crash. Also buy uninsured motorist protection cause there are too many maniacs driving around with no insurance and no money so suing them is useless.

• We were told by our Insurance Agent at home that many of the low cost RV Insurance Policies do not protect at high enough levels for our million $ umbrella policy to cover us. You must insure a at a high enough level for this type of supplemental policy to cover you.