Sign in to follow this  
cpenn

Denver, Mt Rushmore, And Yellowstone

I will be going to Denver, Mt Rushmore, & Yellowstone the last two weeks of August through the first two weeks of September...I have never camped in these areas before...I will be in a 39' DP with a Jeep Liberty toad...Would appreciate suggestions on the best places to stay.

It's been a couple of years since I've camped in those places, but I can recommend some campgrounds that we stayed at with a 32 ft. motorhome. In the Denver area there is Dakota Ridge RV park in Golden, Co., Mt Rushmore area there is Rafter J Bar Ranch in Hill City, which is pretty close to Mt. Rushmore, In the Yellowstone area the park that we really like is the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, it's within walking distance to the town.

The last time I was at Mt. Rushmore with my granddaughter the family next to us recommended a tour that they took. I don't usually do tours, but we did do this one and were extremely glad we did. It starts out at Fort Hayes with a chuckwagon breakfast, then you board a bus and go to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, the pigtail bridges Custer Lodge etc.then back to the fort for dinner and a show.

Enjoy your trip.

We were in Yellowstone mid June 2012. We stayed at the Fishing Bridge RV Park within Yellowstone. They only have a few sites that will accommodate up to 40 feet (all back in) so reservations need to be made early. We liked this location because it was convenient to the things we wanted to see. Our only regret is that we should have planned to spend at least a week instead of the 4 days we were there.

We traveled from there on to Montana, Canada and Alaska.

On the way back to Texas, we decided to make Mount Rushmore. We stayed in Custer State Park at Custer, SD in the Stockade North Campground. Sites have great scenery and will accommodate 40 feet.

Have a great trip.

We made a similar trip last year, the beginning of September. We camped with our 40' in Custer State Park, at the Game Lodge Campground. There were quite a few site that could accommodate 40'. The first morning we woke up with a herd of buffalo in the adjacent pasture. The Game Lodge is next to the campground and has a very good restaurant. This location was convenient to both Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. If you do stay at Custer State Park, you should note that there are a number of roads within the park that have limited clearances.

While in the Yellowstone area, we camped in West Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park.

We've never stayed in Denver, but will second the Rafter J Bar (Hill City, SD) for the Rushmore/Black Hills area. A great campground/RV park and about as central to everything as you can get.

Grizzly, in West Yellowstone, is a beautiful park, is within walking distance of town, and very close to the park entrance. On the other hand, the park offers no views of the beautiful country you're there to see from within the park. We were not able to get into Grizzly, on relatively short notice, last year and ended up at Yellowstone Holliday, about 15 min from West Yellowstone, and the park entrance, to the north. We were looking across a beautiful lake at mountains on the opposite shore.

When we had a trailer, we stayed at http://www.cityofgolden.net/play/recreation-attractions/clear-creek-rv-park/ It is a short walk or drive from Golden, CO and is a good base camp for exploring the mountains (Rocky Mountain National Park), Buffalo Bill's Grave and Museum, Coors Brewery, and Denver. Would need to call ahead to see if the park can accomodate a your size rig.

Sam