Sign in to follow this  
roadtrekrunner

Roadtrek 200 Popular Battery

Just purchased this unit and lights are dim when not running the engine. I noticed the battery directly behind the generator was hanging out of the compartment almost falling to the ground being held by the neg. cable.

My question is what keeps this battery in place? The bottom shelf that the battery sits on is not as long as the battery itself.

Am I missing part of the shelf?

Is there supposed to be some kind of strap?

Dan

I think there is something missing from the battery shelf. I have a 2002 Popular 200 and the battery sits between the generator and the bumper, which is a tight area underneath the chassis. However if the shelf was longer to accomodate the battery I do not think you could remove the battery at all. If anyone has this same setup please let me know, maybe there is a strap of some sort that I have missing? I have looked at two other Roadtreks, but those batteries have there own side compartment which makes it much easier to access.

Hi - I'm new to RVing and have similar question and this is closest thread I can find related to my situation. Hope someone is still reading it as it's several months old...

I have a 2000 Roadtrek 200 Popular and I'm trying to figure out how to access and/or remove the coach battery. I want to get a multimeter on it but can only access one post from underneath. It is located between the generator and the rear bumper on the driver's side. It looks like it is fastened to the shelf with only one screw going thru the shelf from below into a small clamping bar that grabs onto a "foot" on the battery. Problem - It looks like the pipe leading from the LP tank to the fill nozzle behind the license plate is in the way. There is a label on the back of the shelf, visible below the bumper, that says "remove panel to access battery" but I can't see anyway to remove it!

BTW - my bat. shelf is about 2/3 the width of the bat. with the right end hanging over it, looking from the rear of the vehicle.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Take the Roadtrek to Autozone and have them do a free check on the chassis battery and the alternator. Also, even if your coach battery isn't working because of it hanging out, your headlights should not dim when the Roadtrek engine isn't running.

I have a 2002 C200V and have moved my coach battery to the driver's side compartment next to the wheelwell. I have extra parts for the cost of shipping if you need them.

I agree with Dan, there should be another piece to hold the battery in place and do when they come from the factory, but are lost quite often by the mechanic or owner.

I also have a 2002 Roadtrek Popular 200 that has the same battery arrangement. I purchased the RV used and the dealer installed a new engine and house battery prior to me purchasing the RV. I also discovered the battery hanging out of the battery tray, held only by the negative battery cable.

I solved the problem by using salvaged metal and rivets to make a slide out extension to the existing tray. I used steel, but it would be easier to purchase and use aluminum sheet metal for the extension. The extension is long enough to allow a size 31 AGM battery and slide 3 inches inside the existing battery box. It has a bottom, two sides, and a end, basically it is half of a rectangular box. I manufactured a L clamp that attaches to the mounting bolt for the generator hanger very near the end of the new box to hold the extension in place. Looks great and works great.

I realize that this is a 1 year old post, but I'm sure that owners are still having a problem with this, so I thought I would give those my fix.

douugm38,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Thanks for sharing your information with the group!

It is the members willingness to share information that makes the forum work.

I use a battery tray made for marine applications for the 31 group battery under the battery in our coach. Works great and keeps the acid draining out of one location, minimizes the damage to the battery support area.

Rich.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I ended up using a web strap with buckle to secure the battery. Now I am having trouble getting the trickle charger clamps on the posts because it is so tight a space. Do you think a trickle charger is really necessary over the winter months or will starting the engine and letting it run help to keep the coach battery charged?

If the battery area is too tight for securing a charger, look for another location where it could be connected. Clearly, any piece of metal attached to the frame will service as the ground/negative for the charger.

Look at your electrical system, starting at the battery. Where does the large gauge cable go from there? Perhaps a fuse box? If so, that would give you another possible attachment point for the charger.