Sign in to follow this  
petersrc2

Alternator Charge Dash Light

Hello

We have a 2006 Camelot PAQ with Cummins ISL

We're in the process of bringing the "NEW TO US" Motorhome out of winterized/stored condition.

We had it plugged in to ShorePower.

Approximately a week ago, we were able to start both the Coach engine and diesel generator --- wanted to run both for a few minutes.

On this first attempt, after running both engines a few minutes, I heard an audible signal, and witnessed the "ALT CHARGE" light on the Dashboard. This condition ceased when I shut down the GenSet, but began again after a short time, while running only the Engine. I subsequently shut down the engine, and restarted it only. The light/signal did not reoccur.

Yesterday, I went through the same process, and noticed that the ALT CHG light lit up after a short while of running the engine. Initially, I was able to "cancel" it by increasing the RPM slightly, but this was only a momentary fix.

So ------------ presently, the light comes on briefly, and extinguishes erratically.

Can anyone relate to this anomaly? Things to check/do on my own? Seems like the Operator's manual is not much help in this regard.

Thanks for your help

Rudy,

Hi Rudy, And welcome to FMCA. Pretty Provence !!!

I will start with a few questions.

Have you checked the water level in all the batteries?

Are they the original ones?

How many miles on the coach?

Have you checked the the voltage level of the batteries when the coach is not connected to shore power, when the generator is off and the coach engine is off ?

What is the voltage level on the batteries when the engine is running?

Are the cable connections clean on all the battery terminals and connections?

And what is the voltage level on the batteries when the charger is running?

Got to admit that the wiring on the Monaco coach's run me in circles at times. :)

That should give all the members a good baseline of information to start solving your issue.

Rich.

While you could have an actual problem, it could also be that running the generator which powers the charger or inverter/charger which starts in BULK mode will be higher voltage than that produced by the alternator. This can cause the charge light to illuminate.

If batteries charge properly from the alternator (with 120 VAC charger off) and charge properly from shore power/generator (with the engine off), the easy answer is to turn off the breaker that supplies the charger or inverter/charger while you are driving.

Brett

Thanks for your suggestions Rich/Brett

Generally ---------- I'll try to check out some "unknows" within the next few days (still in storage).

As for Batteries ------- all six were replaced in August. Water levels/cable connections good when winterized. Need to recheck.

Didn't check static voltage (not running, or plugged in) , but noticed nominally 13+V at Dash Gauge, while running. (But shore power still on)

On this last point, is it acceptable, or detrimental to run engine/alternator while still hooked to shore power???

Coach has relatively low (22,000) miles.

Till later

Rudy

Rudy,

Thanks for the millage information, with it being that low one can pretty well eliminate any alternator issues.

Sounds like Brett thoughts in regards to the coach being connected to shore power, generator running and the engine running at the same time; and the transfer switch changing from shore power to generator power and the alternator output being on line at or near the same time could have confused the ECM regarding the true voltage level of the 12 volt system.

The main thing to check would be the water levels in the batteries, they can loose a considerable amount of water over time with the charger running.

I often need to add some water about every 3 months, when the coach is connected to shore power. common for me to add between 3 and 4 quarts or around 3 L.

Rich.

Rudy,

Thanks for the millage information, with it being that low one can pretty well eliminate any alternator issues.

Sounds like Brett thoughts in regards to the coach being connected to shore power, generator running and the engine running at the same time; and the transfer switch changing from shore power to generator power and the alternator output being on line at or near the same time could have confused the ECM regarding the true voltage level of the 12 volt system.

The main thing to check would be the water levels in the batteries, they can loose a considerable amount of water over time with the charger running.

I often need to add some water about every 3 months, when the coach is connected to shore power. common for me to add between 3 and 4 quarts or around 3 L.

Rich.

Thanks again, Rich

Intend to check/maintain water levels too.

Rudy

Thanks again, Rich

Intend to check/maintain water levels too.

Rudy

Hi Again, Rich

Checked water levels -------------- all good. Looks like no less than when put in storage in Fall.

For good measure, I removed and cleaned all battery cables. Also confirmed that our Coach has the B.I.R.D. system, capable of maintaining both Chassis, and Coach Batteries.

I "unplugged" shore power, started and ran engine for a bit.

Everything appears O.K. now ----------- no Alt Chg light, or audible alarm, etc.

Thanks for hints/suggestions.

Rudy