LynnCumbie

New Mexico, Carlsbad and Albuquerque Areas

Carl, I have the feeling that the road might just have some snow on it now ! June is a lot different then December and January in the Smokes !

All the talk about good videls and we are stuck in the cold and icy road zone for a few days. The trade off was spending some quality time with the kids and grand kids. Now we just wait for the  warm air to run North for a few days so we can get on the road.

Rich.

Rich, we are leaving Michigan 1/6/18, hope by then we will have above 10 out for high. Going to try northern route to Arizona weather permitting. Even if roads are snow free 10 degrees not my favorite travel weather.

Roland

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Seeking some advise......we are leaving Amarillo TX on a Wednesday morning that gives me WED, THURS, FRI, SAT and most of SUN to get home which is 26 hours of steering wheel time. Any recommendations along I-40 into TN to I-81 to kill some time. I mentioned Memphis to my DW, she shot that down due to high crime (please excuse the pun :D). I thought maybe spend a day in Nashville TN or Pigeon forge TN, but those are both been there done that spots. Looking for something else....Ideas?

One thought, stop in Little Rock at the Down Town RV park and visit the Clinton Presidential library. clintonlibrary.gov

Now if you don't want to do the Pigeon Forge area, how about the New River gorge area 

Canyon Rim Visitor Center, 162 Visitor Center Rd, Lansing, WV 25862, nps.gov, (304) 574-2115

Bill

All good information (and in complete agreement on the N Little Rock CG right on the river-- one of our favorites), but we seem to have moved about a thousand miles too far east!

Let's get back to the original topic:

Thanks.

4 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Rich, we are leaving Michigan 1/6/18, hope by then we will have above 10 out for high. Going to try northern route to Arizona weather permitting. Even if roads are snow free 10 degrees not my favorite travel weather.

Roland

I have to ask. What is the Northern route to go south?

Bill

Brett, Rich.  Joe forgot to say that he would be leaving the NM are in late June.  He will be with Linda and I in Ruidoso, NM., mid June 2018.

Roland,

Go south as fast and safely as possible till you hit I-20 then turn West to I-10 and keep on going West. Going North from Michigan to get to Arizona in January is, pardon me but, insane. Freezing temperatures, no RV parks open in the winter time and maybe no snow but what about Black Ice. 

Head South to go West young man. 

Herman

3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

All good information (and in complete agreement on the N Little Rock CG right on the river-- one of our favorites), but we seem to have moved about a thousand miles too far east!

Let's get back to the original topic:

Thanks.

Ok Ok after a short side trip to the Ozarks you can visit a real Indian Pueblo just to the West of ABQ.

Acoma Pueblo and Sky City Cultural Center/Haak'u Museum

Haaku Rd, Acoma Pueblo, NM 87034, acomaskycity.org,  (505) 552-7861

This is a interesting  place and is historically accurate as it has ben continuously occupied since around 1100.

Bill

Herman,

We generally do south from Michigan to Memphis and then over thru Dallas, El Paso and on to Arizona. I have been monitoring the advanced weather forecasts for several weeks and if they hold up we might go thru St. Louis, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque and over to Arizona. This year the above route forecast is better than directly south, Ross Boyer has taken this route for many years without problem. I will be watching weather like a hawk and turn south at the sign of any trouble.

Roland

sorry Brett, I did mention Albuquerque :)

The Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center in Nashville is a must see attraction at Christmas.  It is a monster Marriott Hotel, shopping center, open air restaurants and more, all within a six story atrium (indoors).  The whole place is decked out with outrageous decorations, Christmas trees, lights, and garland.  Miles of garland, ornaments that are 10 feet tall hanging from the ceiling, Christmas trees 20 feet tall made entirely of poinsettias.  You will have to pay for parking (not cheap for RV's - stay in an RV park and take the toad or a taxi to save on parking) but once inside, it is free for the seeing.  Spend as much of the day as you want, have lunch, enjoy stretching your legs for a while.

Joe.  See what you started !  Geez. :lol:

Roland, I know that Ross takes the North route...but, this is not a usual winter.  Per the weather people, it's shaping up to be like the Winter of 1851...History of Donner Pass!  Have you read about it?  Now put your coach in it...:blink::wacko: 

I know Carl, last night we had low of -17 and windchill of-34. Right now the two week forecast is better for northern route but as I said I am monitoring daily. As we get closer the forecast gets more accurate. We will go to Indianapolis first day and decide from there on a daily basis. Right now eastern US is going to be below normal right down to the gulf. We usually only drive 250-275 miles per day and do not want to go in bad weather. 

9 hours ago, TBUTLER said:

The Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center in Nashville is a must see attraction at Christmas. 

Tom,

It has been many year since I was there. Does Gibson Guitars still have the location where you can watch every step in the making of a Banjo? I like you and Louise, love to see and watch anything mechanical.

Herman

Roland, please exercise caution on I-40 this time of year, it goes from calm cold to icy mist from the mountain's that sticks on the roadways. Found that out the hard way in December 2013 headed to CA. I-10 wasn't any better that winter on the return trip either :wacko:

Friends...I just moved my question to this post since it is more appropriate. Moderator is on vacation, id prefer he enjoy that more than babysit all of us.