jonrjen

2013 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4..Four Down With An Eco-boost

Wow, seems I am full of questions here. I just found out that as of 2012 the Ford F150 4x4 was approved for four wheel down towing.

I had always said that if Ford would ever make the 150 4-down towable one would find it's way back of our National Pacifica.

But, and there always seems to be a but when something new comes along. The wife really likes the bells and whistles that come with the Lariat F150 IE: leather and power everything. However the Lariat also comes with a new 2-speed automatic 4 wheels drive system. I can't seem to find the answer as to if this system is also four wheel down towable.

I also need to make sure that there are no restrictions on towing the Eco-boost engine. From what I have read the 2.0 Eco boost is not towable, but the 3.5 is.

If anyone has some information to share I sure would appreciate the assistance here.

Thanks

Jon

OK, here is where I am at. I looked up a copy of the 2013 Owners manual for the F150 truck and printed the directions for putting the transfer case into its N position. In the morning I will go up to the dealership and give it a try to see if she works on the 2 speed automatic transfer system used in the Lariat and above system.

I am towing a 2013 F150 4x4 King Ranch with the 3.5L ecoboost V-6. The truck is ready to tow from the factory with NO restriction as to speed or length of trip. I cannot be happier with a vehicle. I am using a blue ox towbar and a SMI AirForce 1 braking system. All there is to ready the truck to tow after towbar is hooked up, turn ignition switch to on not starting engine, place transmission in NEUTRAL, with foot on the brake pedal the whole time, then switch transfer case switch from 2H to 4L 5 time in 7 seconds and on the dash readout will come up " neutral tow enabled" now turn switch to next position off, but you cannot pull out key as you must leave truck in neutral while towing. I have towed the truck for 4 days straight and did not have to start the truck with NO battery problems what so ever.

This whole procedure is explained in the owners manual in great detail.

I never thought I'd buy a Ford always went GM, but when I saw the F150 was now towable I checked it out. Fell in love with the 2013 super crew F150 4X4 and leased it. My 08 Damon Tuscany was painted with Ford paint although the color doesn't match perfectly they look great together. Towing couldn't be easier, with no apparent battery drain.

I mounted my Blue Ox brackets myself with little effort. Mine has the 5.0 engine can get around 20 mpg on the hwy 16-17 in town.

I strongly recommend this truck.

I was not aware that you could put a base plate on a leased vehicle. Is this Nation wide, or just where you live?

What did you have to do to make the lights work: running, turn, stop? I just bought 2004 Marquis that has the Roadmaster 9000 installed on the coach, air brakes, and I can purchase the 2nd vehicle unit from Roadmaster to get the F-150 brakes working but not sure what I have to do if anything for lights.

Doug on my 2013 F150 4X4 tow lights I made a light bar by buying 2 water proof brake and tail lights w/mounting bracket for about $15 and using a light duty 2" square tubing to go in the receiver and welding a 2x2x1/8 angle about 3 ft long and pluging in to the brake and light wire from our coach, it may not be for everyone but it has worked on 3 other toads that I could not put a bulb socket in the tail light because of the way they were made and with the Roadmaster Brakemaster toad brake system it mashes my toad brakes and would activate the truck tail lights making diodes troublesome to install. I do have a 12v charge line and if I didn't I would install one, if you read the towing instructions it warns that if the battery ever goes dead you could damage your transmission.

The F 150 tows like a dream the only thing our MPG took a hit with towing 5500 lb + .

Walt

2000 Dynasty