lylefikse

Shurflo Pump Pulsing

Our pump pulses when using either sink or the shower. Water pressure goes up and down. Works fine when flushing the toilet ( runs all the while, no pulsing). There is a filter under the kitchen sink. Think it could be plugged? Suggestions.

Desertdeals69- It just started. We had a nice flow rate before. Pressure now is very low.

Brett- What is an accumlator? And where does it go?

Lyle,

You might need to clean the pump head valves and use a little plumbers grease on the valves and sets. When they get a little dirty and gummed up they do not seal well, so the pressure and volume of water drops off.

One can find new pump heads for many of the pumps.

I fix most everything I can or at least try, but I do like to tinker with things more them most.

Always figure that if it's not working, can not do to much harm; I might learn something or get lucky and fix it !!!

Still a 5 year old at heart, just never got over asking why ?

Rich.

Desertdeals69- It just started. We had a nice flow rate before. Pressure now is very low.

Brett- What is an accumulator? And where does it go?

Shurflo makes an accumulator which tees at the outlet of the pump.

It works with a cushion of air at the top to smooth out the flow.

I would rebuild the pump with a kit or replace it.

After cleaning the little screen filter before the pump, it works much better. I thought maybe we had run the pump dry and done damage to it as it was turned on one night this winter by accident when the tank was empty. After checking on Shurflo's website, I see our pump is make to run dry without damage. I have ordered the shurflo accumulator also and will install it when it arrives. Hope that will improve the flow even more. Does it tell you how much air to put in the tank? Hard to find correct method to determine this online. Our pump is a Shurflo Model # 2088-422-144 Classic 2.8 GPM OEM.

Accumulator comes pre charged and you should not have to fool with that side of the unit. It will not make any difference to the flow volume just reduces the surges. And makes it so the pump doesn't have to start at the moment water is turned on.

Good investment in any water system motorhome or brick and mortar house.

Accumulator comes pre charged and you should not have to fool with that side of the unit. It will not make any difference to the flow volume just reduces the surges. And makes it so the pump doesn't have to start at the moment water is turned on.

Good investment in any water system motorhome or brick and mortar house.

The accumulator for rvs does not come with air pre charge. The air in the chamber is compressed with the water. In a home/farm unit, the tank has a rubber bladder which on the air side a predetermined amount of air pressure. This is used with a well pump.

Getting ready to use the motorhome on a long trip again and will be on the pump often. Over the winter we were hooked up to city water. I believe the accumulator tank has helped but think our main problem is sediment in the fresh water tank. If I blow out the line from the pump it works well for a short time and then seems to have problems again. Must be a screen on the line inside the tank. Can't figure out how to get the tank clean enough to solve the problem. Suggestions?

I replaced the original pump on our 2003 Phaeton in an RV park last Wednesday. The old pump got really noisy and the flow reduced noticeably. The screen was not plugged. Guess it was just old.

Installed a new Shurflo bypass pump. Two days later it started to act up. Everything was correctly installed . Not my first time. Pump trouble shooting guide suggested mechanism adjustment, and I would probably have had to remove it to do that. Just happen to have a new expansion or accumulator tank with us. It is pre-charged to 30psi , but the pressure is adjustable. Took about thirty minutes to install. Pump now better than ever. The tanks do work. I installed one near the pump in our 1988 gasser shortly after buying it new. It was a much larger unit sized for residential use, and we could get close to a gallon of flow without turning the pump on. Kept things quitet when my DW was sleeping. The Shurflo tank is around $60 at Camping World.

Correction on the Shurflo accumulator tank at Camping World/ $51.49. The reviews are positive, Shurflo also markets a 2 gallon stainless accumulator tank that sells for around $120. I may take a look at that one, because I remember how well the large tank I used in our first coach worked.

Having the pulsing problem everybody's talking about. Its done this from day one, put it on less than a year ago.

Shurflo said this was a direct replacement for my old one as the old one was discontinued. I wish my old one didn't fail as it was a great pump and didn't need a accumulator tank. The old one lasted nine years. The one that's in now isn't going to make it a year.

Something is wrong here.

demetropoulos,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Could you post the model number of the OEM pump and the model of your current pump?

Then the members can compare the specifications and see what might be the cause of your issue.

Need a starting point.

Rich.

Question, do you know what the current rating of the latching relay is for your water pump? The new one might be drawing more current an that might be causing the surge issue>

Actuators are well worth the investment, also I always install a commercial grade check valve just before the pump water enters the main water supply line. This will greatly improve the pump life by stopping the backflow of shore water pressure, and contaminants from getting back to the pump. Will also help preserve the pump check valve, as they cant handle as much shore pressure in the event your regulator is not quite up to it's job.