Sign in to follow this  
oscarpower

Outer Banks of North Carolina

Question

We would like to visit the Outer Banks of North Carolina next August. Any suggestions on:

-- best route from Florida (where to stop, what not to miss!)

-- where to stay

-- what to see

We have a 28' motorhome and a tow car...no kids, no pets....

Thanks!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

7 answers to this question

I would go to Cedar Island and take the ferry to Ocracoke. There are several federal campgrounds that we always stay at. Go up past Kittyhawk before you head inland. Great area because I enjoy lighthouses.

I took the ferry to Ocracoke last summer. It was awesome!! I have a 36' motorhome and was also towing my car but getting on the Ferry was NO problem.

From Gainesville, just work your way over to 95 north and stay on until you get to exit 116 (NC route 42W). Go east to US Hwy 264 and take a right onto 264 east and stay on 264 all the way to to Swanquarter, N.C.. There are two Ferries that go to Ocracoke from the mainland and one that goes from Ocrocoke to Cape Hatteras. I took the Ferry from SWANQUARTER, N.C. which is on US highway 264. Once on Ocracoke, there is a great National Park if you have a generator (no hookups) and there are several private campgrounds. When leaving Ocracoke, I suggest going north to Cape Hatteras via NC route 12 and take the Ferry to the cape (this is a free ferry by the way). Once on Cape Hatteras, you're done with ferries but there are TONS of things to do and see including Cape Hatteras Nat. Seashore and the lighthouse.

Make sure you have a reservation for the ferry out of Cedar Island, if not you might not get on in the Summer months.....

The Cedar Island ferry is a nice ride....Outer banks is a great place to visit and as said, there are several National Parks for camping, one just north of Ocracoke, right on the beach..

We have stayed a couple of times at Camp Hatteras on the sound side. Its pricy and in summer it will be full of kids and families. Not far from there is Ocean Waves campground. No pool and all that kind of stuff - its a very small campground but much less expensive. We've never been able to get reservations during the times we were there but that would be a good choice. We have some friends that like Frisco Woods further south. Its on the sound side.

If you have a 4X4 you can go via one of the beach access roads and drive down the beaches. A permit is required now from the NPS, but its still pretty cool to be able to drive a few miles from the beach access and set up your beach chairs and umbrella with no one else in sight.

And as menitoned by others, Ocracoke is a very neat place to spend a day or so. We've never camped on Ocracoke but its an easy day trip from Hatteras.

I forgot to mention that if you are coming up from FL you might want to jump over to Emerald Isle area. Come in near Jacksonville,NC, Swansboro is a neat little fishing town with campgrounds in the area, and over the bridge fromSwansboro headed towards Morhead city there is a really nice campground right in the beach, can't recall tne name now buts its a resort...we have stayed a few times. From there you can head to Cedar Island which is not too far away and catch the ferry to Ocracoke....don't forget to get a reservation though, its busy in the summer but a nice ride..usually see dolphins running the ferry bow. In fact there is a campground right next to the ferry landing.

FYI - if you go to the members gallery and look for "My Bounder", you can see pics of my motorhome and tow vehicle on the ferry to Ocracoke. I took the Swanquarter Ferry, NOT the Cedar Island ferry.